Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick profile with Civil 3D 2012

18 REPLIES 18
SOLVED
Message 1 of 19
boris.yordanov11
5026 Views, 18 Replies

Quick profile with Civil 3D 2012

I searched around the forum but didn't find anything that can help me. Probably because i have a very simple problem. I'm new to the Autodesk product, i'm still studying and unfortunately the course in Autocad was unadequate.

But about my specific problem - we have to draw a railway line. Which i did, but now we have to crate the longitudinal profile. I know i can do it with Civil 3D with the quick profile command, i also read abou ProfLT (but haven't tried it out).

I found this guide - http://docs.autodesk.com/CIV3D/2013/ENU/index.html?url=filesCUG/GUID-8A36E662-16A7-417F-BB41-7E7AE1E...

It only has 6 steps but that's just enough to mess things up, because my problem occurs at step 2 - In the drawing, select a line, polyline, lot line, feature line, or survey figure.

I get a prompt to select a polyline, and i do. And that's it. I get no dialogue box or error or anything. The command just ends. So i think my drawing is incorrect. To draw the railway line we were told to do it with all the elevations at 0. For the profile i returned all the elevation and copied my polyline from the drawing with 0 Z coordinates.

Now everything has a certain elevation. I just really don't know what i'm doing so any help would be appreciated. Thank you 

Edit:

If i don't select a polyline and instead use points it still doesn't work.

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19

1. Create TIN Surface

2. Add Contour Data to a Surface

http://docs.autodesk.com/CIV3D/2013/ENU/index.html?url=filesCUG/empty_concept_432.htm,topicNumber=CU...

3. Quick profile

Message 3 of 19
Jay_B
in reply to: boris.yordanov11

In looking at this are you sure you want to create a "Quick Profile"?

A Quick Profile creates a Temporary profile view and is not saved with the drawing.

More of a visual design tool.

Capture.JPG

It seems like you may want to "Create Surface Profile" in which case you  need to create a Civil 3d centerline alignment for if you haven't already. This Profile can then be shown in a profile view below the plan view.

Hope this helps.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 4 of 19
boris.yordanov11
in reply to: Jay_B

Both of you are right. I did your three steps and i've attached the results(which didn't work as well).

Jay_B you're right - quick profile won't do the job, but ProfLT definetly will. Have you worked with it or do you know an alternative?

I'm following this tutorial - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmYBsmwcP1c but i don't know how to create the .coo file needed (check minute 1:40)

Message 5 of 19
troma

Personally, I've never heard of a .coo file.  Basically, the steps are:

1. Create a TIN surface
  2. Create an alignment
  3. Create a surface profile along the alignment
  4. Create a Profile View to display the profile.

You will need to edit your styles for profiles and profile views (& alignment?) to get them to look acceptable to your local standards.

Which steps are giving you trouble?

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 6 of 19
Jay_B

Sorry but I'm not familiar with the term "ProfLT" being a C3D profile creation option. Where are you finding this term?

Perhaps stands for "Profile Layout Tools"? If so that's the dialog where you create your FG profile after the surface profile and profile view have been created.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 7 of 19
boris.yordanov11
in reply to: troma

Here's how i did it the last time:

1 Surfaces-Create Surface-Type:TIN surface-I choose the layer where my polyline is(it’s on DSN-SIT Гари)-I give it a name(I name it TEST)-OK

2 Toolspace-Prospector-surfaces-TEST-Definition-Contours-right click-add

3 I give it a description (TEST1) – there are some fields in this menu but I’m not sure what they’re for(and I think this is when I mess up) so I click OK-I select my polyline-Enter-it draws a yellow line

4 Profile-quick profile-I select my polyline-ok-I pick a point where I want the profile.

I tried your idea to create an alingment and the results is the same(i've attached it). I really think that my drawing isn't correct and that's why it's not working. Would you try it out for yourself?

My main concern is though i do have a Z coordinate on my polyline, i think it's the same along its full lenght so when i crate a profile - it's straight line because there isn't a change in elevation.

@ Jay_B it's an external program - http://www.topolt.com/en/products/proflt.html

Message 8 of 19
troma

Do you have lots of contours or just one?  If it's only one, you will have a flat surface.

If there's lots, have a read of this for creating the surface:

http://civil3dplus.wordpress.com/2011/08/13/adding-contours-to-a-surface-youre-doing-it-wrong/

Mark Green

Message 9 of 19
boris.yordanov11

I made the profile - of course it turned out to be extremely simple. With you help and a couple of tutorial videos i managed to do it. One problem though - the profile is of the surface on which my road will be. On the top line of the profile i need to draw the road itself. Beneath the whole thing there needs to be a table with some data - lengths, angles, etc (take a look at the attachment for it. I search a lot but didn't find any ideas where to get a template for the table or how fo get it filled out.

The end results needs to look something like this(this is done by hand and with a lot of calculator work):

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2hyfm9k&s=6

Message 10 of 19
troma

Those are called Profile Data Bands.  It can take some time to set up to look the way you want it, but once you do you can save the setup for all future projects.  Hopefully that can point you in the right direction, anyway!

Mark Green

Message 11 of 19
Jay_B

There's a recent thread showing a very similar Data Band to what you've shown Here

Take a look at the attached captions.

We don''t show quite that much information in our Data Bands.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 12 of 19
boris.yordanov11

It did and i managed to make one. The thing is that some of the data in the band needs to be about the road itself(lengths,slopes and what-not). As far as i know i need to draw a line(the road) on top of the profile and then i need to adjust the settings so that the line is regarded as a road in the profile. I don't know if you understood anything because i didn't understand it myself.

Right now i have the data about the surface that i need, but i need to add the road somehow.

Message 13 of 19
troma

No, I don't understand all of it, but I suggest that you draw a profile "By Layout".  You can choose to trace over the surface profile or not.  The layout profile will give you the options to draw however you want, and display the data in the data bands.

Mark Green

Message 14 of 19
boris.yordanov11

troma you've been very helpful the profile layout did work out eventually It was one of those things where it's very simple once you understand how to do it.

A couple of things came up though:

1.I used the Vertical geometry data band, because i need to display the length of each section and the degree of it's slope (in per mils). It immediately displayed the length but i haven't figured out how to do the degree.

2.Curvature geometry - it does it's job well - it shows the information i need but not the correct one. I tried playing with the settings(by selecting the layout profiles) but they are all grayed out - it won't let me change anything, check 11.jpg in the attached files.

3.When i use the Elevation and stations it displays the wrong information:

3.1 check image 12.jpg - this is one of the points of the profile and you can see it has an elevation of 880.042 but you can see in 13.jpg that the values in the data band are completely different. I haven't gotten my head around on how to fix it.

3.2 Question about the stations in 13.jpg - i'm not sure in what kind of dimension or form the information is represented, but i need it to be in km or meters. If i draw a line that's 1 km long it corresponds to the station 32+80.84 in the data band

Message 15 of 19
troma

1 & 2, not sure. Hopefully someone who uses geometry data bands can jump in & help.

3. Take Note: 1000/3280.84 = 0.3048. You are dealing with feet to metres conversion. Did you start out your work in a metric template? It is vital to start as you mean to finish; in either feet or metres. The template has various settings for units that should all be set in the template before you begin.

Mark Green

Message 16 of 19
boris.yordanov11

I agree with you, however at no point in the creation i had an option to chose or edit units and i'm using Civil Metric not Imperial. So i'll have to work on that. Thanks for the tip though

Message 17 of 19
troma

So you say you started with the right template, but obviously something has crept in somewhere.  Did you copy any styles in from a differnent drawing?

There are a few places to set units, but the most important one for C3D (AFAIK) is in:

Toolspace > Settings > Master View > right-click on the drawing name > Edit Drawing Settings > Units and Zone.

Mark Green

Message 18 of 19

Check the attached image i think everything is as it should be.

By the way - i haven't used any templates or copied anything - i've done everything,myself, from scratch.

Message 19 of 19
troma

Yep, it looks good to me too. Did you also check in the UNITS command? If that doesn't solve it I don't know where else to look. Perhaps you can post the drawing and someone can look at it.

BTW, for anyone else reading along, we're still waiting for help with the geometry data bands too!

Mark Green

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report