Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick/easy way to convert many many Land Desktop dwgs to C3D

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
flemingengineering
334 Views, 7 Replies

Quick/easy way to convert many many Land Desktop dwgs to C3D

Hello, and thanks to all that can be of some help to me here.

I have about 15-20 years of AutoCAD and LDT dwgs that will need to be converted to C3D. These are mostly survey drawings with linework in modelspace and paperspace, and of course cogo points. So, fortunately I am not dealing with more complicated engineering dwgs for the most part.

So, lets suppose I am looking for a particular dwg Monday morning and there it is. I hover over the file before opening it, and the date tells me this file has not been modified since I purchased this software upgrade, so it is considered a pre-C3D dwg. (if there is a better way to distinguish the diff please let me know). It will need to be converted to C3D eventually so I might as well do it now. I know the process will involve bringing in the old dwg info to a C3D dwg that has all the settings in place. So, now the question is, how do I do this in a quick, mindless way that will put my linework in the same location as my original in both model space and paper space? I have tried some different ways that gets it done. But, this process needs to be as fast and easy as possible. And, of course, then comes the points. So, whatever the process, it needs to work well with eventually getting the points into the drawing as well.

Thank you!

Mack

PS. This is likely answered somewhere in the archives, thought I didnt see it. Please direct me there if I overlooked it.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

@flemingengineering wrote:

I have about 15-20 years of AutoCAD and LDT dwgs that will need to be converted to C3D.....

I know this is a bad response to your question, but curiosity makes me ask "why"?

We finished our LDT jobs in LDT, and started new jobs in C3D. This was a transition period of a couple of years but now virtually everything is in C3D.

We have years and years of old jobs too, but no reason to anything with them.  When we do need to reference an old job, it's usually the edges of it and we just deal with the dumb linework/objects....

There is an "Insert Land Desktop" command (AECCIMPORTLDTDATA) that will convert alignments, surfaces, pipe runs, description keys, etc. into a C3D drawing. Does this help you any?

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 3 of 8

Hello Mr McSwain,

One dwg might have numerous surveys in it. When the time comes that we need to use that information then I would assume that dwg would need to be updated to C3D. If there is a simpler way I am open to suggestions.

As for converting every single dwg I might happen to open that day, I will decide on that as I go.

Message 4 of 8
Neilw_05
in reply to: rkmcswain

I would just upgrade them if and when you need to. Who knows what software you'll be using 5,10, 20 yrs from now. If you never touch those old drawings you'll have to go through the process all over again and all your efforts now will have been in vain.
Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 5 of 8
Jeff_M
in reply to: flemingengineering

Yeah, I've got 1,000's of old Softdesk/LDT drawings here. In the off-chance I need one for something, I just open it with C3D and save it as a different name (often just the original name with "-C3D" appended to it. This keeps all Layouts and viewports intact, points can either be left as is, or converted to C3D points, or both (I have used the both option many times, but it requires wblocking out the LDT points while keeping them in the drawing, convert those, then reinsert those exported. I will set the C3D versions of the points to not display so I don't lose the display of the original points.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 6 of 8
flemingengineering
in reply to: Jeff_M

Assuming I am not going to convert every single pre-C3D dwg on my computer, what would be the best way for those I would convert? I tried wblock and had problems. When I inserted the old dwg into C3D it put my model space info from the old dwg in paperspace in C3D. (I was in modelspace when I inserted). So, then it looked like copy/paste-original was the way to go. But this requires numerous steps, copying the info from modelspace and paperspace separately.

Message 7 of 8
Jeff_M
in reply to: flemingengineering

I just open it in C3D, and run Audit. To get all the styles and settings from your DWT, use the Styles and Settings Import tool. The only thing I wblock out are points, and only if I need to see them in their original state (i.e. they've been moved/rotated, etc.)

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 8 of 8
flemingengineering
in reply to: Jeff_M

Jeff, you are the MAN!

That sounds like the way to go. I will be definitely be checking that out.

-Mack

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report