Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Querry Layers "I Think"

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
DaveM
607 Views, 15 Replies

Querry Layers "I Think"

All,

For the record I am pretty green for all things map, but I am forcing myself to figure some stuff out.

I have multiple drawing provided to me from the state that all have the same layers. These are huge drawings that contain way more information than i need. I want to querry specific layers from these drawings and have them come into another drawing. Can anybody point me in the right direction.

I am using Civil 3d 2013. I can think of many work arounds, but i am trying to learn some of the map functions.

My first problem is attaching the drawings when i try data, attach source data, i get locked to the c drive.

When i try database it does not give me .dwg for a selection.

Thanks,
Dave

Civil 3D 2013
HP Z400 Workstation
6GB of RAM
296GB HDD
ATI FirePro V5700(FireGL)
Win 7 Home Professional
Please use Kudos Where Deserved

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
DaveM
in reply to: DaveM

This is what i mean by locked in the c. I cant see the network at all.7-25-2013 11-40-58 AM.png

Thanks,
Dave

Civil 3D 2013
HP Z400 Workstation
6GB of RAM
296GB HDD
Win 7 Home Professional

Message 3 of 16
AllenJessup

Open the Task Pane with the MAPWSPACE command. On the Map Explorer tab rt-clk on Drawings and select Attach In the Select Drawing dialog you may have to create an Alias with this Icon icn.png

You can add as many drawings as you want and do it all at once.

Then in the Task Pane rt-clk on Current Query and select Define.

In the Define Query dialog box. Select Property. In the Property box select Layer then pick Values. In the Select box select your layers. Hit OK and OK to get back to Define Query. You can Save the query if you want. Then make sure you hit Execute Query, not OK.

qry.PNG

Allen Jessup

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 16
AllenJessup

@dmartin wrote:

This is what I mean by locked in the c. I can't see the network at all.

See my post that shows the Icon to use to create an Alias. This is an old and kludgy dialog.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 16
DaveM
in reply to: AllenJessup

Allen,

Thanks for your help, I have never seen the alias thing before, but since most of those files will always be in the same space i can see the use for it.

I hate to ask, but what should i do about this dialog box?

7-25-2013 12-24-26 PM.png

Thanks,
Dave

Civil 3D 2013
HP Z400 Workstation
6GB of RAM
296GB HDD
Win 7 Home Professional

Message 6 of 16
AllenJessup

Ignore it. Map is GIS software and assumes that you want to have changes saved to a database [in this case the drawing you queried from]. You only want to save the resultant drawing so there is no need to SaveBack to the original drawings.

This can be useful if you had wanted to edit something in the source drawing without opening the whole thing.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 7 of 16
DaveM

Thank you, I am one step closer to working with map 🙂

Thanks,
Dave

Civil 3D 2013
HP Z400 Workstation
6GB of RAM
296GB HDD
Win 7 Home Professional

Message 8 of 16
AllenJessup

You're welcome. It's a good skill to have.

Allen Jessup

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 9 of 16
AllenJessup

BTW. I think you've figured it out already. But I should have mentioned to make sure Query Mode was set to Draw.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 10 of 16
DaveM

I did notice the draw, but i also noticed that for me, execute QUerry was greyed out the entire time. I set properties to layer and did not bother to set a location. Still it was greyed so i just pressed OK and everything came in. Not sure why it would be greyed out, in your image it is clearly dark.

Thanks,
Dave

Civil 3D 2013
HP Z400 Workstation
6GB of RAM
296GB HDD
Win 7 Home Professional

Message 11 of 16
AllenJessup

May be a 2013 thing. We're still using 2012 while migrating to 2014. The screenshots I posted were from 2014 but followed what I remember from 2012 and before. I think those dialogs have been the same for 10 of 15 years.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 12 of 16
neilyj666

@AllenJessup wrote:

@dmartin wrote:

This is what I mean by locked in the c. I can't see the network at all.

See my post that shows the Icon to use to create an Alias. This is an old and kludgy dialog.

Allen

Indeed it is - probably not deemed important enough to update but they'd probably break MAP if they tried...!!!

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 13 of 16
shunter62
in reply to: neilyj666

I have posted about this unfriendly "dialogue" box a couple of times: probably on a wish list page or thread. Without having someone who has figured it out previously, such as you, explaining the graphical solution, the tiny buttons, lack of easy navigation to various folders and other unexplained items will continue to baffle generations of C3D users. Even some better documentation in Help would perhaps be better than nothing.

The worst thing is its static, small size.

Regards, Susan H

Message 14 of 16
AllenJessup
in reply to: shunter62

Since the main focus for the past releases has been on FDO. I would not expect anything to be changed in this respect. But for the task the OP described this method is best for us Civil types.

Probably the best course I've taken was one called something like Map for Civil Users. I learned a lot of useful knowledge there. Unfortunately our reseller doesn't offer that anymore.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 15 of 16
Murph_Map

I have Bic%$^% and criped about the old dialogs for the past 6 years, they along  with the old AEC***** commands will never be updated in MHO.

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 16 of 16
walkesona

How to add layers to the group filters in AUTO CAD 2009? I tried the same steps followed in auto cad 06, but its nt getting added.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report