Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quantities - Stripping Best Practices?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
LeafRiders
1699 Views, 10 Replies

Quantities - Stripping Best Practices?

I'm thinking of creating separate corridors for my stripping calculations and then using the stripping datum surface as my main EG surface for a more accurate Cut/Fill quantity. Does anyone else have experience with this and maybe share some of your best practices. In this instance I have 10 corridors for my primary roads, and adding another 10 corridors for the stripping seems like a lot of effort, but it's probably necessary. Thanks.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
sboon
in reply to: LeafRiders

There are two or three workflows you can use.

Usually I attach StrippingPavement to my daylight subs, so that the limits of stripping match the cut and fill.  When I calculate quantities I define the stripping material as EG to Strip, and then do the earthworks quantities between the Strip and Datum surfaces.

Sometimes the stripping is in smaller regions and not continuous along the corridor.  In that case I might extract some featurelines and use them as targets for conditional subs in another corridor which builds the stripping surface.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 3 of 11
HansSMS

To me a strip surface is always the "start" surface. Topsoil gets stripped to varying thicknesses and can be ambiguous when used as a datum. The strip surface once measured should be agreed upon bwteen the earthworks contractor and the client.

Hans Moller
Surveying & Management Services
Gladstone Australia
Metabox 16GB, Intel i7-9700K 3.6Ghz, 500GB SSD, 2TB HDD Nvidia GTX 1060
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2018
Message 4 of 11
LeafRiders
in reply to: HansSMS

Varying conditions will control which application of stripping you apply in each design situation. I'm looking for more less Civil 3D work flow. As Steve mentioned I'll probably work out separate corridors and surfaces for strippnig so each is independant of the main corridors, just trying to think of functional ways to avoid unneeded Civil 3d work. Thanks.

Message 5 of 11
LeafRiders
in reply to: sboon

You've mentioned that when you have a complex corridor, you create its own stripping corridor to account for the changes in ditch layout (daylight). I haven't used create feature line from corridor a lot. The problem I'm running into is that in one area of the corridor i get the my toe of slope (no ditch condition). Where there is a ditch, there's will be 2nd, 3rd, etc. Feature Liens that are separate from one another.

I guess as long as I target the proper feature line in that station range it should be okay to have them all running the entire length of the corridor, correct? Would it be possible to target them all and have the Stripping SA, go to the target that is the furthest out. Is there a setting somewhere? As this will help me redesign the stripping corridors. Thanks.

Message 6 of 11
sboon

It sounds like you may want to extract either the Hinge_Cut or Hinge_Fill featurelines and use that as a control for a ConditionalHorizontalTarget.  Where the featureline exists then you want to strip to a depth, and where it doesn't exist you still want to strip but with no depth.

The reason for stripping with no depth is to make sure that the stripping surface is contiguous through the length of the corridor.  If you don't do it this way then you have to mess with surface boundaries to separate the pieces of stripping, and you'll have to deal with more conditions in your quantity calcs.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 7 of 11
LeafRiders

I've came across some stripping surface issues, my cross-secitons seem okay so I'll be good to run quantities, but i've attached a couple images as to what the stripping surface looks like. Seems to have an issue in some places, any ideas?

Message 8 of 11
sboon

Looks like a surface boundary problem.  Do you have a region boundary at these locations?

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 9 of 11
LeafRiders
in reply to: sboon

I just created corridor surface boundary (shrinkwrap) by adding a second baseline, then that option becomes available. I go back after and delete the baseline. I will check the surface boundary and region misc. and let you know if I find something off.

Message 10 of 11

Hi,

I want to share my approach, this is a 0.01 cents dolar! (this is in Spanish, I hope this help)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDvU6PWuX-8&lc=z135up3yusrmvzz5w04cj5zhpkqyyfvr21k

Simon Noyola

simon.noyola@gmail.com

snoyola@d2et.com

Message 11 of 11

Estimado @Simon_Noyola_Rivero 
El video ya no esta disponible, podrías subirlo nuevamente.

De antemano muchas gracias!

Saludos!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report