Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

QTO Not Working Confirmation

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
fcernst
506 Views, 5 Replies

QTO Not Working Confirmation

I just received this from Support confirming as a known issue. Hopefully this will help others not waste their time on this like I did all of yesterday and the day before. Also I would have to advise you not to bid your projects thinking your team can use QTO.

Please put your pressure on the Civil 3D management team to fix this as soon as possible.

Capture.JPG

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
klugb
in reply to: fcernst

Can you post the description of what isn't working?
Bruce Klug, P.E.
AutoCAD Expert Elite Alumni
AutoCAD Civil 3D Certified Professional
Civil 3D 2023.2.1

Win 10 Enterprise, 64-bit
Message 3 of 6
fcernst
in reply to: klugb

Sure. Here you go:

Capture.JPG

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 4 of 6
Cadguru42
in reply to: fcernst

@fcernst wrote:

Sure. Here you go:

Capture.JPG

I just tested this in C3D 2016 and it's still broken. I also found that the area reported by a feature line is also just the top 2d area, not the real 3d area of the feature line. This is probably related since corridors use feature lines as well. 

Here's a screencast showing the feature line reporting an incorrect area. 

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 5 of 6
GTVic
in reply to: Cadguru42

I just tested this in C3D 2016 and it's still broken. I also found that the area reported by a feature line is also just the top 2d area, not the real 3d area of the feature line. This is probably related since corridors use feature lines as well. 

Here's a screencast showing the feature line reporting an incorrect area. 

To be fair, what you have is the second simplest case, with the first being all points at the same elevation. If you have more than 3 vertices and varying elevations on the vertices, then chances are the shape is not planar and in that case you do not have an area that can be calculated directly from the vertices. See Area of the minimal surface of a non-planar quadrilateral in 3D

So what is Autodesk reasonably expected to do in this case? My answer would be they should just label the area as "2D Area" and be done with it.

The next level of complexity would be for Civil 3D to check if the feature line vertices are all planar and calculate the 3D Area. Since the real life occurence of all points being planar is probably small then I would say there is no point to this. Another option is to triangulate a surface inside the area and list an "Approximate 3D Area".

Neither of those are reasonable solutions for a value in the properties palette so again, I say just list it as 2D Area in the properties palette and be done.

Message 6 of 6
fcernst
in reply to: Cadguru42

I just did a quick corridor test and the QTO 3D calc seems to work in 2016.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report