Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Purge a Block (or two)

18 REPLIES 18
SOLVED
Message 1 of 19
Cadguru42
2622 Views, 18 Replies

Purge a Block (or two)

In my template I have two blocks that I wish to delete for manhole symbols. Both blocks were referenced from two different structure styles and I've changed the styles to use other blocks. I wanted to purge the blocks, but C3D says they're still in use. They are not nested in any other blocks, there are no objects in the drawing to QSELECT, and there are no XREFs. 

How can I purge the drawing of these two blocks? There should be no styles using these two blocks, but I have no way of searching every single style to see if that's the case. The only other style I can think of that would use a manhole symbol would be a point style, but this template only contains one point style and it does not reference either block. I'm pretty sure the reason they can't be purged is because of a Civil 3D style, but how can I find that out?

Am I just going to have to live with two blocks in my drawing template that aren't ever going to be used again?

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19

Try purging styles and then try and purge the blocks.  If I style is referencing a block, I don't believe it will let you purge that block.

I rarely have time to post. If what I post helps please use Accept as Solution / Like when appropriate.

Check out my Civil 3d blog at: http://c3dk.com/
Message 3 of 19

@Anonymous wrote:

Try purging styles and then try and purge the blocks.  If I style is referencing a block, I don't believe it will let you purge that block.

This is my template file. I don't want to purge every single style just to get rid of two blocks. There were only two styles in the template that should have been referencing the two blocks and both styles no longer reference the blocks. What I'm running into is how do I find what style or styles, if any, are referencing these two blocks. I only have around 8 structure styles and none of them reference the blocks I'm trying to purge. If there is another style that isn't a structure style that references those blocks how do I find it?

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 4 of 19

I agree I would not want to purge the styles in that situation, I was suggesting that as a diagnostic to see where the problem is. 

Have you tried searching for the blocks in the drawing using QSELECT or SSX? When I am creating a template I will also check to make sure there are no entities in the drawing by using the DBLIST command.

Hope these work for you!

I rarely have time to post. If what I post helps please use Accept as Solution / Like when appropriate.

Check out my Civil 3d blog at: http://c3dk.com/
Message 5 of 19
BrianHailey
in reply to: Cadguru42

That's one of the difficult things about C3D and AutoCAD, finding out where things are being used. 

Another place to look would be other blocks. If a block is inserted into a block, then it can't be purged out because it is being used inside that other block.

Worse comes to worse, you could always redefine the block into something you would use and then rename it.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 6 of 19
Cadguru42
in reply to: BrianHailey

@BrianHailey wrote:

That's one of the difficult things about C3D and AutoCAD, finding out where things are being used. 

Another place to look would be other blocks. If a block is inserted into a block, then it can't be purged out because it is being used inside that other block.

Worse comes to worse, you could always redefine the block into something you would use and then rename it.

Yeah, I thought they might be nested in another block, but I checked all the blocks in the template. No other block is referencing these two blocks.

@Anonymous: There are no objects in the template to use QSELECT. I've never heard of the command SSX. I'll look into it.

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 7 of 19
troma

You could try the express tools BLOCKREPLACE tool.  Then you can 'replace' your old manhole block with your new one, wherever it is.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 8 of 19
Cadguru42
in reply to: troma

@troma wrote:

You could try the express tools BLOCKREPLACE tool.  Then you can 'replace' your old manhole block with your new one, wherever it is.

I just tried that, but it says "0 blocks replaced". I think because there are no objects in the drawing using the blocks that none of the regular AutoCAD commands will work. 

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 9 of 19
troma

Part of that command is, it asks you "Purge block when completed?"  Did you say yes?

I'm not saying it's going to work, obviously this is buried deeply.

Mark Green

Message 10 of 19
Cadguru42

I received help from a forum member (who may want to remain annonymous, not sure). He found that even though in some of my other styles the Structure Style>Plan view was set to Use outer part boundary that the User defined part property had those blocks listed, even though they weren't supposed to be in use. Below is a screenshot of where I'm talking about. 

structure_style_block_issue.png

I just had to turn on User defined part, switch the block to _None, then switch back to Use outer part boundary. This allowed me to purge the blocks from the drawing. I wouldn't have thought to look at the User defined part section for other blocks if that toggle wasn't switched on.

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 11 of 19
Jeff_M

Glad I could be of help! I love searching for hiding spots like that. Smiley Very Happy Good thing C3D presents lots of opportunities to go looking!

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 12 of 19
Cadguru42
in reply to: Jeff_M

@Jeff_M wrote:

Glad I could be of help! I love searching for hiding spots like that. Smiley Very Happy Good thing C3D presents lots of opportunities to go looking!

Well, the secret's out! It wasn't the one armed man. It was Jeff!

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 13 of 19
troma

@Jeff_M wrote:

... Good thing C3D presents lots of opportunities to go looking!

That's some crazy messed up logic!  Smiley Surprised

Mark Green

Message 14 of 19
Jeff_M
in reply to: troma

@troma wrote:

@Jeff_M wrote:

... Good thing C3D presents lots of opportunities to go looking!

That's some crazy messed up logic!  Smiley Surprised

You have to keep it fun, or it will drive you bonkers!

EESignature
Message 15 of 19
troma

Now you tell me!

Too late Smiley LOL

Mark Green

Message 16 of 19
jbarsic

The point styles has the same issue as the structure styles.

If a block symbol is picked for the marker the block cannot be purged even if the point style is set to use a custom marker and not a block.  You must pick, "Use AutoCAD BLOCK symbol for marker", select a block you don't want to purge and then re-select "Use custom marker".  You may now purge the block that was previously selected as long as it is not being referenced somewhere else.

In the pic below, the block COI-BM would not be purgable.

block problem.PNG

HUGE BUG if you ask me.....

Message 17 of 19
Jeff_M
in reply to: jbarsic

Bug? No, I don't think so. Annoyance? Sure. This has been in the program since Day 1, and it has not kept me from performing ANY of my work. It has not caused a crash. It has not lost me work. It has not kept me from doing more work. And since meeting any one of those criteria could place it in the Bug category, the fact that it meets none of them keeps it in the Annoyance category (and in the Minor ones at that).

EESignature
Message 18 of 19
tinamhansen

working in autocad 2013 and having the same issue with blocks, where do i go to find this window?

Message 19 of 19
troma
in reply to: tinamhansen

It could be a structure style, or a point style as outlined above. It could also be a marker style, and possibly others. Remember to check the 'Plan', 'Profile' and 'Section' tabs.

Mark Green

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report