Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Publishing to Google Earth w/ Civil 3D 2012

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
Granthg
3112 Views, 16 Replies

Publishing to Google Earth w/ Civil 3D 2012

When I publish a drawing to Google Earth with Civil 3D 2012 the kmz file does not show up in Google Earth. The wizard seems to execute properly, even winding up in the correct geographic location and is listed in the temporary files, but the entities do not appear. I have successfully published this and many other files with version 2011, but can’t seem to find “the magic” to make it work with the latest version. Am I missing some settings somewhere?

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
sstraayer
in reply to: Granthg

How did you get the Google Earth plug installed? I found this post:

http://labs.blogs.com/its_alive_in_the_lab/2011/04/google-earth-extension-for-autocad-how-to-extract... 

But I get a class not registered error

Message 3 of 17
wfberry
in reply to: sstraayer

That post referenced AutoCAD 2012 not Civil 3D.  Google Earth was installed on my computer "at birth".  I assume that should do it.  Perhaps not.

Bill

Message 4 of 17
tcorey

Did you ever get this one figured out? I am experiencing the same issues. I try to send parcel or alignments to Google Earth and, like you said, it zooms to the correct location, but no objects appear.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 5 of 17
wfberry
in reply to: tcorey

Tim:

I have not had that problem.  The only problem I have had is if I don't use the pick button on the mouse it zooms all the way in to "0" Elevation.  I suppose there is a setting, but it doesn't concern me at this point.

Bill

Message 6 of 17
jjvail

I found in the readme that Google Earth for Civil 3d 2012 will be supported at a later date. Page 2 of the attached pdf

http://labs.autodesk.com/files/17301_17400/17361/file_17361.pdf 

Message 7 of 17
wfberry
in reply to: jjvail

Google Earth that is installed with C3D works, but the one you have referenced is the new one that supports color.

Bill

Message 8 of 17
jjvail
in reply to: wfberry

I am still having the problems listed in the earlier posts. 2012 Civil 3D data (surfaces and Materials) not displaying. The Camera path which is just a polyline comes in fine.

Message 9 of 17
Terrain_IaPLS

Bumping up.....

As well, having same issue with Civil3D 2012 exporting the KML/KMZ.

We use the KML/KMZ's in ArcGIS Explorer (Desktop and On-line).

Same issue that Cogo Points simply don't work. 

In testing an alignment, the point style Marker(s) (Core Block) come in, yet NOT the alignment

geometry.  The "XML" content's all there, just not anything relative to Civil Object graphic's.

Yet to try any further Civil 3D Objects from R2012.  For ref., product is "Fully Updated" + Ext.'s.

I see on LandXML.org, that Nathan has some sample LandXML files that have been "converted" to

KML/KMZ format.  Anyone know how these files were generated (inside older Civil3D Version, or ?). 

http://www.landxml.org/schema/UserSamples/UserTransformSamples.htm

Used in R 2008 on some surfaces & parcels (?) w/o any problem, so R 2012 ???.

For one of those samples, the XML clearly shows an "Alignment" within file content being transformed.

If the "XML data" is being clearly passed, seams like a graphical ?

Any assist. would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,

Geoff T.

Geoff T.

Xi Computer CM-MasterCase Pro 5 tower case (Win10 O.S.)
Ten Core i9-7900X @ 3.3/4.5GHz Sealed Water Cooled
w/ Asus PRIME X299-A mobo
32GB DDR4 @ 3600Mhz RAM
SSD Samsung 850 EVO H.D.
Nvidia Quadro P2000 (span2) + 2000
3 ViewSonic VG2436wm-LED displays

Message 10 of 17
Joe-Bouza

Hi Bill

How do you use the pick button to avoid zooming to 0?

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 11 of 17
wfberry
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Joe:

I just stop it with my mouse.  However, we had a fix for this about 2 months ago and with my current maxed out memory, I cannot remember where to enter.  It is on the Google Earth web page, in the left column.  Since Jeff seems to remember any and all things, perhaps he will lend us a hand.

Bill

Message 12 of 17
Jeff_M

I only remember thing I was involved with. I'm not having any recollection of this. I just tried to add some data to GE and can see nothing...other than the actual data on the left side panel, but nothing in the viewer.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 13 of 17
wfberry
in reply to: Jeff_M

OK, you are getting stubborn. <G>  However, I am now remembering that it was explained in a "Being Civil" blog.  Joe, you need to find it.

Bill

Message 14 of 17
wfberry

Joe:

If you are still listening I may have something.  Notice that it has only been an hour since my last report.  Once you get zoomed in to 0 feet or whatever, on the left side pane, expand alll, uncheck everything above Temporary Places and double click "Model".  In my case, it zooms out to a respectable size and correct orientation, it appears.

I am assuming that you have some entities that you have selected in your dwg that are in State Plane and have been imported into Google Earth.

Bill

Message 15 of 17
Jeff_M

OK, so following Bill's advice above and the information at the end of this blog post:

http://beingcivil.typepad.com/my_weblog/2009/03/how-to-control-line-weight-when-publishing-to-google...

I am now able to see my alignments, curbs, sewer and storm lines (the ones I chose to export anyway).

2-23-2012 1-36-14 PM.png

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 16 of 17
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: Jeff_M

Thank you Gentleman,I always wondered what that nudge field did.

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 17 of 17
Terrain_IaPLS

Appreciate the conversation....

I'll try Jeff's fix as referenced from other's.

Had the Nudge correct, so still ??

Given we're using the KML/KMZ's in ArcGIS Explorer (as = supported in all globe viewers) those options to use KML/KMZ's go beyond just G.E., so any thoughts on the proceedures relative to G.E. of just "what is" getting corrected to enable the Civil3D objects to display correctly ?

With the Civil3D help, the key word there says MODEL, and just currious if there is any Autodesk comment on Exactly which Civil3D objects may be limited when exported to a KML/KMZ ?

And "anyone" who uses the KML's/KMZ's beyond G.E.

Thanks again..

Geoff

Geoff T.

Xi Computer CM-MasterCase Pro 5 tower case (Win10 O.S.)
Ten Core i9-7900X @ 3.3/4.5GHz Sealed Water Cooled
w/ Asus PRIME X299-A mobo
32GB DDR4 @ 3600Mhz RAM
SSD Samsung 850 EVO H.D.
Nvidia Quadro P2000 (span2) + 2000
3 ViewSonic VG2436wm-LED displays

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report