Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Publishing PDF's in Civil 3D 2014

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
jeffl
1226 Views, 7 Replies

Publishing PDF's in Civil 3D 2014

Has anyone else noticed that the file size of pdf's created using the publish command in C3D 2014 are much larger than files created using 2013? I'm talking twice the size in some cases. I've gone through the settings and found no differences, but there must be something I'm missing. When I use the plot command on a single layout, the file sizes are similar, so there must be something in the publish command. Any ideas?

Jeff Leeman, C.E.T.
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Jay_B
in reply to: jeffl

Take a look at the Dpi setting within the Dwg to Pdf.pc3 file being used with the Plotter configuration Editor.

(Right click on pc3 in Win explorer>open) is one way to get to plotter config edit. Device and Document Settings tab>Dwg to Pdf.pc3>Graphics>Custom Properties>Access Custom dialog>Custom Properties button>The higher the dpi setting the larger the file created. We have ours all set at 400 and print quality is good here.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 3 of 8
jeffl
in reply to: Jay_B

Thanks for the suggestion, but I already have checked that. My settings for 2013 & 2014 dwg to pdf.pc3 are identical. We use 600dpi.
With the use of ftp sites for file transfer, I'm more curious as to the reason than concerned about file size.

Sincerely,
MERITECH ENGINEERING

Jeff Leeman, C.E.T.
Senior CAD Designer

Meritech Engineering
1315 Bishop Street North, Suite 202
Cambridge ON N1R 6Z2

t 519.623.1140 x216
f 519.623.7334

www.meritech.ca

CAUTION: This message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender by return e-mail.
Jeff Leeman, C.E.T.
Message 4 of 8
ToddRogers-WPM

Hotfix 1 installed?

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager
Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 5 of 8
DaveM
in reply to: ToddRogers-WPM

What about layers, autocad can create pdf's with and without layers that can be turned on and off?

Thanks,
Dave

Civil 3D 2013
HP Z400 Workstation
6GB of RAM
296GB HDD
ATI FirePro V5700(FireGL)
Win 7 Home Professional
Please use Kudos Where Deserved

Message 6 of 8
Lisa_Pohlmeyer

I just checked the difference between 2012 and 2014. The Dwg2PDF.pc3 files are the same, the PDF size is very slightly different.  2012=239kb and 2014=226kb.  

Lisa Pohlmeyer
Civil 3D User
Website | Facebook | Twitter

Message 7 of 8
jeffl
in reply to: Lisa_Pohlmeyer

Thanks to all who have responded to this post.  I appreciate the suggestions.

My dpi settings and layer settings are identical between the two versions of C3D.

I do recall the pdf file size being reduced from 2012 to 2013, so I wonder if Autodesk has undone whatever they did to reduce file size for some reason??

Jeff Leeman, C.E.T.
Message 8 of 8
dhenderhan

I myself havn't really noticed a huge difference in file size, but the print process definately takes much longer from 2014 than it did from 2013.  It shouldn't be the pc3 file, I repathed to the same pc3 file for both versions.

Thanks,

David E. Henderhan, PLS
Civil 3D 2023
Dell Precision 3660 - Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Intel (R) RTX A2000
12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700 2.10 GHz
128 GB ram

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report