Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Publish to Google Earth - hide image under model

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Josh.Pettijohn
757 Views, 4 Replies

Publish to Google Earth - hide image under model

I have a railroad corridor model that i'm publishing to Google Earth.  Is there any way to hide the google earth image and terrain under my model so that my model isn't covered up in cut situations.  Also should i still be using an older version of google earth as mentioned in older blogs?

thanks,

Josh

C3D 2011, with updates

Google Earth, latest edition

thanks,
Josh

C3D 2011, with updates and Subscription Downloads
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

I have a Railroad Map I have been working on for several years.  I recently published it to Google Earth.  I click the "Drape entities on ground" when I am publishing it in AutoCAD. 

Another trick would be to turn off the terrain in google earth.

Message 3 of 5
gccdaemon
in reply to: brad_in_omaha

Bring in the Google earth image to Autocad and project it to a post cut surface.

Andrew Ingram
Civil 3D x64 2019
Win 10 x64 Pro
Intel Xeon E5-1620
32 GB Ram
Message 4 of 5
Josh.Pettijohn
in reply to: gccdaemon

I want to work within Google Earth for the visualization features.  I can easily create a fly-by video along the proposed track.  It seems you have to have 3ds Max to do any real visualization with AutoDesk.  Unless I'm missing something, Civil 3D is only good for maybe still rendered images at best.

thanks,
Josh

C3D 2011, with updates and Subscription Downloads
Message 5 of 5

Hi Josh,

You may use Plex.Earth for such cases, which has specifically two features to help in such cases.

With the "Synchronize AutoCAD" (PXSYNCACAD) and "Synchronize Google Earth" (PXSYNCGE) commands you can either synchronize the AutoCAD view to the current view of Google Earth or vice versa. This will help you to align the cameras of GE and ACAD, in order to pull the image and use it as a background in rendering.

http://www.plexscape.com/plexearth.aspx

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Lambros

PS. Sorry, I just noticed that you previously said that you prefer GE for visualization but I believe that it worths to take a look.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report