Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Projecting Objects to Profile Views

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
randyowens3203
2503 Views, 11 Replies

Projecting Objects to Profile Views

I have been using feature lines along buried utility locations to project these objects to section views. It works great. I created label styles, and It pops a vertical label on the section view that points toward the existing ground. I tried to use the same feature lines to project objects to profile views, and get very strange results. I do not get an option to select a label style, that field is blank, and on the profile view there is not a point where the alignment and the feature line crossed, but a line drawn all over the general area of the utility location. I have attached pdf examples of a sucessful section view and an unsuccessful profile view. I manually added the "EXISTING WATER" label so that it's easy to locate the line representing the water line. Anyone have any ideas on this one?

Randy A. Owens
Southland Engineering, Inc.
Win 7 64BIT
C3D 2013
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
sboon
in reply to: randyowens3203

This is normal behaviour - unfortunately for you.  When you project a feature line to a section, the programmers assumed that you would be crossing the line, so they set it up to display a symbol or marker at that point.  When you project to a profile they assumed that this would be parallel, so the set it to display the entire length of the line, projected onto the profile view.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 3 of 12
Joe-Bouza

I snap a block to the FL and project it to the profile.

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 4 of 12

That's interesting. The feature line only crosses the allignment at on point. I will try snapping a block to the feature line. Thanks for the help, all.

Randy A. Owens
Southland Engineering, Inc.
Win 7 64BIT
C3D 2013
Message 5 of 12
ksorsby

Old thread - but has this been improved yet? I'm trying to show where a feature line crosses the alignment on the profile view ie. not project the entire feature line onto the profile view. Just a marker where it crosses.

Is this possible?

Thanks!

Kevin

Message 6 of 12
Grimes_MG
in reply to: ksorsby

Did you ever find a solution to your question? I also want to only have a marker/line/label at where a PL crosses an alignment (is. a singluar point of intersection).

Win7 (x64), EVGA 790i, 8GB RAM, EVGA 8800GT, 250 GB iSSHDD, & RAID 0/1
Message 7 of 12
vinceroux
in reply to: Grimes_MG

You can try adding a point to the crossing location using a no-plot label and marker style.  Then project that point in you profile view and use a style that displays a line/marker/whatever you want to show it as.  The elevation you will have to set yourself, either a surface or another profile.

Message 8 of 12
ksorsby
in reply to: Grimes_MG

No. The best workaround for me is to convert the polyline/feature line into a pipe network and create a style which only shows the centreline in plan but a very small circle as a crossing style in the profile section. Then project the pipe network to the profile view.

Clearly Autodesk think that being able to do it in sections but not profile views is consistent.

Kevin

Message 9 of 12
Grimes_MG
in reply to: ksorsby

Thanks guys for replying.

Unfortunately, I don't like either of these "work-arounds".  We can project a FL in a Section View but not in a Profile View? Come on Autodesk get it together!

Win7 (x64), EVGA 790i, 8GB RAM, EVGA 8800GT, 250 GB iSSHDD, & RAID 0/1
Tags (3)
Message 10 of 12

Beauty of Civil 3d is you can customize it to do / show just about anything you want 🙂  I have a tool for this... I'll post it later.

"Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.
Message 11 of 12

Didn't have time to clarify earlier but this draws a circle in the profile view where the featureline intersects the alignment. 

http://www.pro-cad.net/Featurelines/FL2PV.zip

command.gif

"Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.
Message 12 of 12

hey Brian, 

this tool looks like it could save me huge heartache!! Unfortunately the link is broken though. Is the tool still available somewhere?

Cheers,

Morgo 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report