AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

Valued Contributor
KPerison
Message 1 of 10 (234 Views)
Accepted Solution

Project Points In Window - Button is greyed out in Point Group

234 Views, 9 Replies
03-20-2014 10:18 AM

I have a surface created by someone else.  There are 100,000+ cogo points and dozens of Point Groups in this dwg, but the only Point Group used to create the surface was "_All Points". :smileysad:

I want to be able to identify what points are used to build the surface in a particular area.  I thought I could create a dummy point group and select the "Project Points In Window" button to generate a points list, but it is greyed out (see attachment).

Does anyone now why this is greyed out or if there is another way to do this  -  short of adding every single point to the group?

Thx.

*Expert Elite*
Jay_B
Message 2 of 10 (223 Views)

Re: Project Points In Window - Button is greyed out in Point Group

03-20-2014 11:05 AM in reply to: KPerison
Turn on points, choose select points in dwg shown on caption, add (window select) these points to your test point group.
Jay

C3D 2014 SP2
Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Valued Contributor
KPerison
Message 3 of 10 (221 Views)

03-20-2014 11:17 AM in reply to: Jay_B

I think what you are telling me to select the other button that is not greyed out (Selection Set in Drawing). Right? 

My issue is the particular cogo points used have had their styles set to _NoDisplay. So i don't actually have anything to select at the moment.  I was hoping the "Project points in WIndow" option would allow me to select and area and display the list of points contained inside that seclection window - without having to turn on every single point in the dwg.

Why would the "Project Points In Window" button be greyed out?

*Expert Elite*
doni49
Message 4 of 10 (210 Views)

03-20-2014 11:53 AM in reply to: KPerison

It seems this issue has been around for a while.  Here's a post from 2006 complaining of the same thing.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D-General/Unable-to-get-Point-Group-numbers-matching-po...

I can confirm that I tested it in 2012 and even with all points ON, this button is disabled for me.

Don Ireland

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Forum links:
AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015
AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

AutoLISP, VB and other AutoCAD customization

Civil 3D General
Civil 3d Cusomization

*Expert Elite*
AllenJessup
Message 5 of 10 (205 Views)

03-20-2014 12:07 PM in reply to: KPerison

I believe that the button shouldn't be there at all. I think that the whole dialog was stolen from LDD. It's identical to the LDD one. Instead of removing the button it was just disabled.

Since in Civil 3D there are no Project Points. I can't see what that button would do. In LDD you had Project Points vs. Drawing Points. But not in Civil 3D.

That's my best guess on the subject. I've just ignored that button since moving from LDD.

Allen

*Expert Elite*
doni49
Message 6 of 10 (203 Views)

03-20-2014 12:10 PM in reply to: AllenJessup

AllenJessup wrote:

I believe that the button shouldn't be there at all. I think that the whole dialog was stolen from LDD. It's identical to the LDD one. Instead of removing the button it was just disabled.

Since in Civil 3D there are no Project Points. I can't see what that button would do. In LDD you had Project Points vs. Drawing Points. But not in Civil 3D.

That's my best guess on the subject. I've just ignored that button since moving from LDD.

Allen

That sounds like  a pretty good guess as to why it should be removed.  But that leaves the OP trying find a way to do what that would presumably have allowed.

Which is to include points that are within the window'd area.

Don Ireland

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Forum links:
AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015
AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

Civil 3D General
Civil 3d Cusomization

*Expert Elite*
AllenJessup
Message 7 of 10 (199 Views)

03-20-2014 12:17 PM in reply to: doni49

First the points have to be in the drawing and visible. Then you would have to select the point in the area in question, rt-clk and select Edit Points. The Dummy point group method could also be used but the actual points would have to be available for selection in the drawing.

To cut down on display overload. A simple point style could be assigned to All_Points and a No_Display point label style. Then only a simple marker would show for the points.

Allen

*Expert Elite*
doni49
Message 8 of 10 (198 Views)

03-20-2014 12:18 PM in reply to: doni49

The really sad part is that the 2012 help still talks about using this button.

Click Project Points In Window and define a window by specifying two points in the drawing. The project northing and easting                        coordinates of the window corners are used to determine which project points are contained in the window. All points in the                        project to which the drawing is attached, and which fall within the window, are included in the point group.

http://docs.autodesk.com/CIV3D/2012/ENU/filesCUG/GUID-CE9DFEB8-0E12-48CC-9E8B-BAE112118D1-2935.htm

Don Ireland

Forum links:
AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015
AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

Civil 3D General
Civil 3d Cusomization

*Expert Elite*
AllenJessup
Message 9 of 10 (196 Views)

03-20-2014 12:22 PM in reply to: doni49

I just thought of a scenario where that button might work. If you're using Vault to maintain an external point database then it might work. We don't use Vault, so it's just a guess.

Allen

Valued Contributor
KPerison
Message 10 of 10 (171 Views)

03-20-2014 02:27 PM in reply to: AllenJessup

Allen/Doni,

Here's what I had to do:

1. Created the Test point group
  2. Made sure the label style was set to _NoDisplay and point style was something small and basic.
  3. On the INCLUDE tab, I selected the toggle below "Include all points".
  4. Moved the Test point goup up to the top of the display order list.
  5. Then whent back to the INCLUDE tab un-checked "Include all points"
  6. Selected "With numbers matching" and used the other button "Selection in Drawing" (Now they are avaialable to pick)
  7. Then you get the point list.

If only the phantom button actually worked.  I'm becoming the master of workarounds.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Civil 3D Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for AutoCAD Civil 3D helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Civil 3D

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs