Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Programming Language(s) related to Civil3D

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
2849 Views, 3 Replies

Programming Language(s) related to Civil3D

I posted this on the Customization group and got one responce, not saying it was a bad one, but would like to get others opionion on this subject matter. Thanks for the first responce and others on this.

I read a recent post on different programming languages and what the future holds for Civil3D. It sounds like lsp, vlisp and vba are going to be a thing of the past related to Civil3D. If someone who liked creating custom programs for productivity, like they did in LDD, what would be the programming language to start learning for this? Some say NET, others say XML, C# or C++ and so on and so on. I guess the main question is this, what would be the programming language or languages to start learing relating to customizing Civil3D now and for the future of Civil3D?
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
peterfunkautodesk
in reply to: Anonymous

As the Product Manager for Civil 3D and someone who knows the future of the product and the API, I recommend you learn one of the .NET languages either VB.NET or C# for both now and for the future of Civil 3D.

Cheers,

Peter Funk
Civil 3D Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous

Hi azrdgldr,

It's me again. Same advice as before, but clearly you didn't read it as
you are still claiming that XML is a programming language.

If you want another opinion, look for posts by Peter Funk.

He is the Autodesk manager responsible the Civil 3D programming
interface and as such is "THE Expert on this subject"

However, as I intimated before, you can't get a better answer without
giving information about your current knowledge, how prepared you are
to learn, how capable you are of learning, how good is your imagination
to see a gap in the software that you can fill economically, what types
of things do you propose to program.

At the moment your question is like: What sort of car should I buy?

Even an answer of one with 4 wheels and a steering wheel, while
generally accurate, is inadequate as we have no idea from the question
whether you intend to use the car for commuting, towing a horse trailer,
or racing NASCAR. Is the price of petrol relevant to the car user?

Regards,

Laurie Comerford

azrdgldr wrote:
> I posted this on the Customization group and got one responce, not saying it was a bad one, but would like to get others opionion on this subject matter. Thanks for the first responce and others on this.
>
> I read a recent post on different programming languages and what the future holds for Civil3D. It sounds like lsp, vlisp and vba are going to be a thing of the past related to Civil3D. If someone who liked creating custom programs for productivity, like they did in LDD, what would be the programming language to start learning for this? Some say NET, others say XML, C# or C++ and so on and so on. I guess the main question is this, what would be the programming language or languages to start learing relating to customizing Civil3D now and for the future of Civil3D?
Message 4 of 4
Anonymous

Laurie, yes I did read your responce. I did a cut and paste and as I stated "I posted this" and I didn't want to deviate from the OP. If this offends you because I reposted for additional responces, too bad, cause surely this was not my intention. I justed wanted to get a better consensus on this subject matter from several opinions and not just one.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report