Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Profiles Again

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
apweng
165 Views, 6 Replies

Profiles Again

Question for anyone relating to my previous post.

What makes a profile grip editable? Existing ground profiles sampled from surfaces can't be grip edited.

Copying these to other profiles makes them grip editable but I've had inconsistent results with this.

When copying profiles it would be nice if we could specify both the name of the destination profile and have the option to apply a change in elevation - either for the entire length or over a station range.

Andrew
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: apweng

what sort of "inconsistent results"?

I assume you are aware that after you copy the profile you can then go to the properties of the "new" profile and change its name as well as you can edit that new profile by bumping the entire profile up or down by a relative elevation.
Message 3 of 7
apweng

Copied profiles are sometimes grip editable, sometimes not.

I've also had problems with lables. Reviewing profile properties after attaching a label set shows no labels being attached. Once again not all the time but intermittently.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

apweng wrote:
> What makes a profile grip editable? Existing ground profiles sampled from surfaces can't be grip edited.

Static profiles are editable, dynamic profiles are not (they update
automatically based on the alignment and surface they are dependent on).
May I suggest going through the help/tutorial for a brief run-down of
the different types and their differences?

> Copying these to other profiles makes them grip editable but I've had inconsistent results with this.

If the profile is dynamic, then it can't be edited.

--
Himanshu Gohel. Civil3D Team, Autodesk, Inc.
Autodesk Civil3D Product Information: http://www.autodesk.com/civil3d
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

I whole heartedly agree with apweng about allowing a vertical offset in
super impose.

When doing intersections it would save a bunch of time if it would reflect
what we need to see for the curb return profile directly instead of the
centerline.

That is if you don't give us the ability to dynamically base the curb return
profile on a vertical offset from the centerline profile (which you should
do!!) Ideally base it on the assembly used at that point. I can't think of
too many times when my curb returns aren't going to run straight through.
Even if they don't I really need to have the end points be calculated for me
and I can fix what is in the middle.

Intersections are almost there but do a little more calculation for us. It
is great to have everything be dynamic except the intersections. I make a
change to the main profile then I have to manually change three additional
profiles to match. Yuck.

My two cents

Conan Witzel
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

I agree, the procedure to obtain an accurate corridor model of an intersection right now is too much to make it worthwhile for most users when you have to change 4 different profiles for a centerline vertical alignment change. I think an excellent enhancement would be the ability to define a profile with elevation links to other profiles with the ability to set a static difference in grade (and it should allow us to link to multiple profiles, say Road 1 at one station and Road 2 at the other station.) This would enable us to create gutterflowline profiles that are dynamically linked to the centerline profile which could be applied in a large number of applications.

This would allow us to create the corridor once and add significant improvements to the dynamic nature of the models.
Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

I have often thought an Intersection Wizard or at least a Curb Return Wizard that automates this process would be great! It should aid in finding the tie-in elevations from the two roadways forming the intersection as well as give you the option to pick up a lead-in and lead-out elevation along the two roadways into and out of the CR. And, also control itself to the elevation points it connects to in case the main profiles are adjusted.

I have found superelevation to work nicely to tie in new pavement edges of a secondary roadway into the longitudinal grade of an existing or main roadway.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report