Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Profile grip edit-2014 Service Pack 1

22 REPLIES 22
SOLVED
Message 1 of 23
areese9779
2444 Views, 22 Replies

Profile grip edit-2014 Service Pack 1

Hi all,

We have recently installed Civil 3D 2014 Service Pack 1, and while for the most part it works great, we are noticing one significant issue with profiles.  In particular, when we have a design profile actively selected with grips showing, and then select one of the grips, the PVI you are editing becomes offset from the cursor.  When you select a point with the cursor, the profile syncs back up as you would expect. This is a hard one for me to describe, so I have attached a screen shot to help clarify what is happening.

Has anyone else seen this issue?  Just thinking out loud, but it seems like it would be some sort of graphic card issue, but we are seeing it across multiple machines.  Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Sincerely,

Andy Reese

Civil 3D 2014 SP1

Andy Reese
C3D 2016, SP3
Dell Precision M4800, Windows 10 64-bit
22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
BrianHailey
in reply to: areese9779

Seems to work just fine for me.

Basic troubleshooting questions:

Multiple files on the same computer?

Same file on multiple computers?

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 3 of 23
Jay_B

Works here too but is it possible that the reason your cursor is moving off the PI is due to a PI in close proximity to the EVC?

Hard to tell from your caption but it looks like there may be a PI a very short distance to the right of the curve?

The cursor will leave the PI when it's unable to solve a curve such as captions below but this is expected as I've got to curves that only have 5' of tangent between them.

Grip edit pi 1.PNG

Above the cursor stays in grip but below I've exceeded the limit to the right.

grip edit pi 2.PNG

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 4 of 23
fcernst

Hi Andy,

This was drving me nuts too awhile back. It wasn't just with SP1. There is a bug with the Frist View style. See below:

Capture.JPG

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 5 of 23
areese9779
in reply to: BrianHailey

Hi Brian - thanks for the response!

In looking at your screen capture, it appears you have the same thing occuring that I do, which is a separation between the cursor location and the PVI that you are editing.  Additionally, when you have started the grip edit, it looks as though your entire profile has shifted, rather than just the PVI and two tangents you are editing.  Maybe I am just seeing that incorrectly though.

As for your follow up questions, I can replicate this issue on any drawing with a layout profile on any machine with SP1.  I cannot replicate it on any of the same drawings on computers without SP1.

Andy Reese
C3D 2016, SP3
Message 6 of 23
areese9779
in reply to: Jay_B

Hi Jay,

Thanks for your response as well.  The vertical curve dows not appear to be involved with the issue.  I have taken two screen captures at a location without a vertical curve to better illustrate the issue.  The first capture is from a computer without SP1 installed.  The second is from my computer which does have SP1 installed.

Andy

Andy Reese
C3D 2016, SP3
Message 7 of 23
areese9779
in reply to: fcernst

Hi Fred,

It has been awhile!  I hope this finds you doing well!  

Thanks for posting the response you received from Autodesk.  I looked at our profile view style, and the vertical exageration is set to 10.  Also, our style is a custom style that didn't use the "First View" that Willy mentions.  I also looked at our Elevation Range in the Profile View Properties, and it is actually set to automatic since I am in a design drawing.

Bummer - I had hoped you might be on to something for us!

Andy

Andy Reese
C3D 2016, SP3
Message 8 of 23
fcernst

This is where the bug is. Did you check here?

Capture.JPG

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 9 of 23
areese9779
in reply to: fcernst

I did.  When the elevation range is set to automatic, those options for the split screen aren't available.

Andy Reese
C3D 2016, SP3
Message 10 of 23
BrianHailey

@areese9779 wrote:

Hi Brian - thanks for the response!

In looking at your screen capture, it appears you have the same thing occuring that I do, which is a separation between the cursor location and the PVI that you are editing.  Additionally, when you have started the grip edit, it looks as though your entire profile has shifted, rather than just the PVI and two tangents you are editing.  Maybe I am just seeing that incorrectly though.

As for your follow up questions, I can replicate this issue on any drawing with a layout profile on any machine with SP1.  I cannot replicate it on any of the same drawings on computers without SP1.

No, there is no seperation. You can see the original location of the profile and the preview showing where the profile will end up when I'm done editing. As for it moving the entire thing, it's not. I'm just zoomed in close and the adjacent PVIs are quite a distance away so it appears that they are moving and not stretching.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 11 of 23
areese9779

That video is really helpful!  It completely shows that yours is working correctly, which further adds to my mystery.  On the upside of that, we are probably dealing with a simple setting issue.  On the down side, I haven't the foggiest on where to start looking.  I've tried toggling some of the usual culprits under the performance settings, to no avail.  Any other ideas?

Andy Reese
C3D 2016, SP3
Message 12 of 23
areese9779

For those that are interested, I just tried using the grip edits for a pipe network, and had the very same thing occur.  Image is attached.  Very odd, to say the least.

Andy Reese
C3D 2016, SP3
Message 13 of 23
mathewkol

I have two possible ideas.

1. Do you have your MS Windows set to make text bigger? Maybe 150%. Set it back to 100 and see if it helps.

2. Have you tried turning hardware acceleration off (3DCONFIG, Manual Tune, turn it off at the top)?

3. Have you tried installing the appropriate driver for your video card? If it's certified by Autodesk, make sure you use the one specified on the hardware list page.

That's all I have. Good luck.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 14 of 23
areese9779

Hi all,

So a man much smarter than myself (Thank you Ken!) was able to solve the riddle of what is causing the cursor to be offset from the profile while grip editing.  It turns out that it is the Axis Offset of our profile view style.  When there is a value assigned, the offset editing issue occurs, but when it is zeroed out, there is no problem with the editor.

Now, to just find a workaround...

Thanks everyone for your input and help!

Andy Reese
C3D 2016, SP3
Message 15 of 23
Anonymous

Having the same issue here. Very fustrating. Smiley Mad

Message 16 of 23
Anonymous

Hi,

Any word on the workaround for the profile grip edit problem?

Message 17 of 23
P_Mitch

Has anyone found a solution for this? My profile view styles are all 10:1 exaggeration in my DWG and the profile view style does not have split profile checked and there is not a split profile style in the dialog.  This is a big issue.

specified.  Offset Gripecified. 

Message 18 of 23
areese9779
in reply to: Anonymous

Just the previous solution of zeroing out the axis offsets in the profile view style.  Fotunately, we do our design in a different drawing than our production sheets, so the crappy way it looks doesn't ultimately make a difference.

Andy Reese
C3D 2016, SP3
Message 19 of 23
Anonymous

This all worked fine in 2009 but was messed up starting from 2010.

Setting the Axis Offset to 0 does indeed fix the problem but it poses several others.

This is also a solution for having the grid lines double back on themselves.

I was hoping Autodesk would fix this after I contacted them about it in 2011, yet 3 years later....

Message 20 of 23

Just started having this problem once I installed 2013 and SP2.  Any fixes yet?  It's any object in profile view that this happens.  Can make it stop by setting offsets to 0, but this shouldn't be a permanent fix.

Civil 3D 2011
Windows 7 64-Bit

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report