Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Profile View data bands

18 REPLIES 18
SOLVED
Message 1 of 19
hillamng
5321 Views, 18 Replies

Profile View data bands

Hi All,

I need some help here. I am a bit new to the program, and I am already glad with what it's capable of. Right now I have created a profile of my alignment, however the vertical geometry of the existing and finished ground comes in two values, one value to 2 decimals and the pther to 3 decimals. I would like to see only one value, how do I change this?

Also, the vertical geometry bands of the existing and finished ground come with stations attached to them. I would like to remove these and have an independent band of stations.

The third problem, the vertical and horizontal geometry data seems a bit undrefined, how do I refine it to look much smarter like I've seen with other people's work.

Lastly, the superelevation band comes out blank, where could the problem be?

I've attached a snaphot of what am trying to explain.

I appreciate you help!

Thanks

Hillary

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
mfsamee
in reply to: hillamng

Hi Hillary,

Follow this procedure:

1) Go to profile view properties

2) Select Bands

3) Select "Pick Band Style" Under Styles column

4) Edit the Current selection

5) Edit theTitle Text --> Compose label (do the adjustments by veiwing the preview side by)

6) Edit the Labels & Ticks--> Compose label (do the adjustments by veiwing the preview side by)

7) Apply ---> Ok.

This way you can solve your first three problems.

About your last question, you need to calculate the superelevation for the alignment using the "Edit / Caculate superelevation tab, then only it will be displayed in the profile band.

Please appreciate the answer by giving the kudos or accepting it as the solution, if it helped you.

Regards,
Mohd. Faizan Samee
Design Engineer, Roads and Highways
64 bit OS | Win-7 | 3.60 GHz Processor | 16.0 GB RAM | Civil 3D 2013 |
Message 3 of 19
troma

About the data being "unrefined".

I suspect you are profiling a surface.  Your vertical data will be much more 'refined' if you draw a profile 'By Layout'.  This way you can control the exact PVIs, % grades etc.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 4 of 19
hillamng
in reply to: mfsamee

Hi,

Thanks for the response. I've tried your suggestions and they work well. However, the bands for the vertical and horizontal geometry still look disorganised. Please see attachment(NOTE: the 1st attachment is my work, the second attachment is how I would like the data in the tab look like).

Thanks again, in advance

Message 5 of 19
hillamng
in reply to: troma

Hi troma,

Thank you too for your help. How do I draw by layout?

Message 6 of 19
hillamng

Yeaaah  Troma,

I've got your point! It has worked!

Now what am left with is the super elevation,how do I get this thing to calculate the super elevation?

Thanks guys I appreciate.

Message 7 of 19
troma

I have never used the 'geometry' data bands.  However, looking at yours I make these observations:

1. It looks like the horizontal geometry is quite 'refined' as you might say, but the band style is not.  You need to investigate how to edit the band label style to meet your needs.
  2. The vertical geometry is all over the place!  This is probably because the alignment is crossing lots of TIN lines together, generating lots of vertical PIs on the profile.  There are two possible ways to fix this.

one

Click on the profile, right-click and go to the profile properties. Remove the link to the surface by setting the profile update mode to 'Static' rather than 'Dynamic'.  Then edit the profile and remove some PIs.

two

On the Home Tab of the Ribbon, Click Profile > Profile Creation Tools.  Create a Profile by layout, snapping to your existing surface profile where appropriate.  Then set your band to use this profile as the data rather than the surface profile.

Mark Green

Message 8 of 19
hillamng

Hello All,

Everything seems to be working out just fine, thanks to you guys. Still have one more issue, I inserted two bands, one for the finished and existing ground level. However, when I change the title in the title box,the other box title changes too. This gives me bands with the same title, something undesirable. How can I handle this? (see attachment)

Thanks again!

Message 9 of 19
mfsamee

Hello,

Change the "Style" in the bands for both the bands.

Profile view properties - Bands - Style

Regards,
Mohd. Faizan Samee
Design Engineer, Roads and Highways
64 bit OS | Win-7 | 3.60 GHz Processor | 16.0 GB RAM | Civil 3D 2013 |
Message 10 of 19
boris.yordanov11

How exactly did you fix your vertical geometry?

Message 11 of 19
boris.yordanov11

"Then set your band to use this profile as the data rather than the surface profile"

How does that happen?

Message 12 of 19
troma
in reply to: boris.yordanov11

Click on the profile view (grid or band).

Right-click  > Profile View Properties > Bands

Change the referenced profile in the profile drop-down for the band.

Mark Green

Message 13 of 19
hillamng

Hi Boris, Just like troma explains here, it works finally.

Message 14 of 19
boris.yordanov11

Hi troma

You explained how ot make the data "unrefined" but is there a way to make the profile itself less accurate. I found how to modify the distance between the ticks, but all it does is hide some of them, the graph at the top (the surface) remains unchanged.

Message 15 of 19
troma

Are you talking about a surface profile or a layout profile?
Maybe if you attach some pictures it would help to see the difference between what you want to see and what you are seeing.

Mark Green

Message 16 of 19
boris.yordanov11

Check out the screenshot i attached. It would be nice if i could make the whole profile look more like the brown line, however what's more important is that the first section, between the those two signs, needs to be completely flat. Do you know how i can remove those lines i've circled. I found how to modify the space between them but i need them completly gone.

Message 17 of 19
hillamng

Hi,

Right click your profile view and select edit profile view style. In the display tab, switch off the major, minor grids(See image below)

Message 18 of 19
boris.yordanov11

Worked like a charm. Thank you
Message 19 of 19
troma

In terms of 'making the whole profile look like the brown line', you need to draw a profile 'By Layout' too. The red/white line on your screenshot looks like it is a surface profile, which naturally reflects the reality of the humps and holes on the surface.

Mark Green

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report