Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Profile View Draw Order

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
bzismann
1579 Views, 7 Replies

Profile View Draw Order

I've got a Profile View style set up just the way I want it.  The only problem that I have is that the automated fill hatch that I'm using between my existing and finish profiles is showing up behind the grid lines.  Unfortunately, we use "lines overwrite" as a standard, so I can't just switch to "lines merge".  Does anyone know of a way or a setting that would allow me to move the draw order of the fill hatch above the grid lines?

Ben Zismann
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
DaveM
in reply to: bzismann

This is a workaround, i could not find a proper way.

I exploded the profile view till it was the hatch was an actual hatch, did a copy with base point 0,0,0... Did an undo past the explosion Paste, Draw order. It worked, and was pretty quick, but you lose all dynamic capabilities.

Sorry i could not figure the designed way.

Thanks,
Dave

Civil 3D 2013
HP Z400 Workstation
6GB of RAM
296GB HDD
ATI FirePro V5700(FireGL)
Win 7 Home Professional
Please use Kudos Where Deserved

Message 3 of 8
david.zavislan

You could do this with a second profile view that has a style displaying only the grid lines, and all of the profiles turned off.  Align it with the original profile view.  Use a style in the original profile view that has the grid lines turned off.  You should then be able to use the display order > send to back command to place the grid only view behind the hatching.

David Zavislan, P.E. | Wood Rodgers, Inc.
Message 4 of 8
tcorey
in reply to: DaveM

To make this option work without losing the dynamic ability of the profile/profile view:

After exploding, wblock the hatches out to a new drawing. Close without saving. Re-open. Insert or xref the hatches drawing.

Tim

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 5 of 8
bzismann

Thanks for the suggestions, but I was hoping that I wouldn't have to work around it.  I was hoping that there was something buried deep inside a style somewhere (like so many Civil 3D things are) that would allow me to change the draw order.  I know it can be done in label styles.  I guess I'll just forgo the dynamic hatch and add dumb hatch in place - that seems like the easiest solution.

Thanks again, gentlemen.

Man Frustrated

Ben Zismann
Message 6 of 8
andrewpuller3811

If you use profile label styles for your grid lines instead of the profile view grid lines, you can change the draw order, but unfortunately you can't seem to do it with the hatch and profile view grid lines.

If you hold control and select the hatch, you can use the bring to front command and it will move infront of any profile labels, but does not change in relation to the profile view grid.

Creating a grid line with a profile label style is fairly easy. If you need further info I can post more details.

If a post provides a fix for your issue, click on "Accept as Solution" to help other users find solutions to problems they might have that are similar to yours.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit
Intel core i7 11800 @ 2.30 GHz with 32GB Ram
Civil 3d 2021
Message 7 of 8

Hello!

I am interested in this "Creating a grid line with a profile label style". Could You, please, explain some more or direct to a post You have already maybe explained this further?

Message 8 of 8

You can create a profile label style Major Stations (for example) with a line component.

The line component should have the Start point anchor component set to  <Feature>, the Start point anchor point to Anchor PVI, Use End Point Anchor set to True, the End point anchor component set to  <Feature>, the End point anchor point to

Anchor PVI Dimension.

The Length Type needs to be set to Percentage Length and the Percentage Length set to 100%.

You then attach this label style to your profile and it will draw a line, at each major station, from the profile down to the attachment point, which need to be set to profile view bottom.

If a post provides a fix for your issue, click on "Accept as Solution" to help other users find solutions to problems they might have that are similar to yours.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit
Intel core i7 11800 @ 2.30 GHz with 32GB Ram
Civil 3d 2021

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report