Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Profile Pipe Objects Change Layers

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
eallen
388 Views, 7 Replies

Profile Pipe Objects Change Layers

I'm having an issue where I have a pipe network referenced into a drawing in a project environment.

When the reference was created, I specified the default layers that the individual objects should go onto when the objects are drawn.

The plan pipe network objects work fine. They came in on the correct layer and stayed that way. The profile objects, however, when I draw them go onto the wrong layer. When I check the network properties, all my default layer settings are incorrect.

To make matters worse, if I change the current layer (not the layer of the objects, just the drawing layer), save and close the drawing and then re-open it, all the profile pipe entities change to that layer. For instance, if I change the current layer to BLDG, the profile pipe entities don't change right away, but next time I open the drawing they will be on BLDG.

I've made a sample project with this situation. If I promote the network, it doesn't happen. I've used Pack and Go to attach it. Unzip the file to any location and open Drawing3.dwg. To test what I'm talking about, change the current layer to something else, save it and reopen. The pipe objects in profile should change to that layer.
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
kcobabe
in reply to: eallen

Found your problem. You do not have the layer for the profile in the drawing. Try reloading the layer and all should be good.

R10 - 2020 ACAD
2008 - 2020 Civil 3D
2014 - 2020 Plant 3D
2014 - 2020 Revit
V8i - V8i SS4 Microstation
Infraworks
2018-2020 Inventor
2020 Navisworks
Message 3 of 8
eallen

Thanks for your reply, but my example files are misleading. I purged out all unused layers to reduce the size of the drawing so I could post it. My template (which all my drawings are produced from) has all the layers I use. Message was edited by: dmkever
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous

I'm having the same problem. Hopefully this issue gets solved.

Tracey McAuley
Message 5 of 8
kcobabe

When you both build the source drawing are you setting up the drawing for full design in that everything is setup and then placing it in a drawing that has another full design?

I have found that it is best to do a basic design in the source file. This should include the following:

Part List
Basic Style for structures & pipes

Then the drawing is shortcut into will need the following:

Final Style for what you want it to look like when you print

and that's about it. The part list, rules, etc... are not needed because they are set in the source drawing. All you will do is give yourself a headache when allowing the new drawing to mess with the objects as they come into the shortcut drawing.

All you should be doing is setting the view and label styles.

R10 - 2020 ACAD
2008 - 2020 Civil 3D
2014 - 2020 Plant 3D
2014 - 2020 Revit
Infraworks
2018-2020 Inventor
2020 Navisworks
Message 6 of 8
eallen

OK. I found a work around. There is a bug in the program, though.

The work around is to create separate styles for each different layer you want to have. For instance, in my current drawing I have Existing Sanitary, Proposed Sanitary, Existing Storm Sewer and Proposed Storm Sewer. So I will have to make 4 styles (one for each pipe / structure type.)

I still don't understand why it works to have one style for all types of structures and pipes in plan and they hold their correct layers. Very frustrating.
Message 7 of 8
eallen

Never mind...works for the pipes, but the structures still stay on the current layer in profile. Arrrrgghhh!
Message 8 of 8
kcobabe

Have you tried not using your block as the profile symbol?

When I switched it to boundary it showed up fine.

R10 - 2020 ACAD
2008 - 2020 Civil 3D
2014 - 2020 Plant 3D
2014 - 2020 Revit
Infraworks
2018-2020 Inventor
2020 Navisworks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report