Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Profile Layout Tools - grayed out

28 REPLIES 28
SOLVED
Message 1 of 29
rkmcswain
26986 Views, 28 Replies

Profile Layout Tools - grayed out

28 REPLIES 28
Message 2 of 29
jmayo-EE
in reply to: rkmcswain

I have not seen this in 2014 yet. I have had it happen it in 07 to 12. Skipped 13. I would like to note that this has never been a regular issue for me. It pops up once in a blue moon and I can rarely repeat it with the same file.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 3 of 29
Jay_B

I just had this happen yesterday while using the Alignment Layout Tools, All toolbar icons became grayed out (in a file I had been editing alignment on a regular basis for weeks).

After thinking I'd lost my mind I exited the file and reopened. Then Alignment Layout Tools worked fine. Civil 3d 2012 SP3 used.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 4 of 29
wfberry
in reply to: Jay_B

I am quite sure it is still happening in 2014 but I have come to recognize it so quickly that I just save, close and reopen.  It hasn't concerned me, just waste a few seconds and go forward.  I think everything works best if we close down occasionally and re-start.

Bill

Message 5 of 29
MikeEvansUK
in reply to: Jay_B

Still happening in R2013 (Not bothered with R2014). The same thing occurs in Profile editing tool.

Also sometimes in the drainage network editing tools will stop functioning in a drawing, you have to keep closing the toolbar and select a network part then edit and add each run one at a time (closing and opening between changing locations)

These all have been doing this in the previous releases from R2007 (I think) onwards.

The only true fix for this has always been to exist the program completely and restart, ocasionally you can jig it by closing the drawing and re-opening but very rarely.

Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Message 6 of 29
rkmcswain

It is hard to say how often I see this because I may not do anything with alignments or profiles for a period of time. But if I AM working with alignments or profiles for a few hours, I usually see it happen.

The situation today was that I was creating a new profile, then when the layout tools appeared, all grayed out. So I had no choice except to close the layout tools. After restarting Civil 3D, how can you go in and edit this existing profile, since there is nothing to select? (remember, I never got a chance to create any profile elements!)

My Civil 3D "issue" list has been updated with this issue.

TIA

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 7 of 29
Jeff_M

@rkmcswain wrote:

..., how can you go in and edit this existing profile, since there is nothing to select? (remember, I never got a chance to create any profile elements!)

TIA

When this happens I just select the profile in Prospector and use the r/c Delete option then start over.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 8 of 29
rkmcswain
in reply to: Jeff_M

Jeff_M wrote:

When this happens I just select the profile in Prospector and use the r/c Delete option then start over.

Yep, that is what I do too....  I wish there was a r/c "Select" option like there is for other objects.

This time I remembered to copy the lenghty description to the clipboard before deleting the profile.

Didn't want to type that all in again...

Message 9 of 29
jmayo-EE

Wow. We should be able to go into prospector, locate the object in it's tree, select the name with a right-click and choose 'Select'. From there you would be able to perform edits, select style-hidden objects, etc. Not with profiles... I can do this with I think every C3D object except profiles...

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 10 of 29
jmayo-EE
in reply to: jmayo-EE

With empty pipe networks you find the 'Edit Network' command in the Right click menu which makes editing empty pipe networks possible.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 11 of 29
jmayo-EE

With an empty alignment the alignment is selected, even though it's undefined and the contextual ribbon appears.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 12 of 29
ceethreedee.com

When is this going to be fixed... still happening in 2017!!!!

profile greyed out.jpg

Civil 3D 2021 (Update 1), ACAD (SP1.3) MAP (HF0.4)
Infraworks 2021.1,
Win 10 -DELL Precision Notebook 7730

ceethreedee.com
Message 13 of 29
rkmcswain
in reply to: ceethreedee.com

ceethreedee.com wrote:

When is this going to be fixed... still happening in 2017!!!!

Meh.... I quit expecting things like this to get fixed a long time ago.

They are taxed with other tasks. Fixing minor details like this does not sell rent software...

Message 14 of 29
MikeEvansUK

I expect it would be fixed like a flash if found in the "other" Civil application.

M

Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Message 15 of 29
j_schroeder1
in reply to: MikeEvansUK

If I close the editor toolbar as soon as I'm done editing, and don't leave it open while I'm performing other functions in the drawing, it seems like it makes this problem less frequent. This could just be superstitious snake oil, but I feel like leaving the toolbar up and open and then switching to selecting different objects might somehow lock you out of the editing capabilities. 

Message 16 of 29
Anonymous
in reply to: j_schroeder1

j.schroeder - I'll have to try that, thanks.

I have this problem frequently (in AutoCAD 2015) and it is very annoying, especially because it disrupts your workflow. If anyone from Autodesk is out there listening - please fix this issue, thanks.

Message 17 of 29

it's still happening to me 2018

what is the solution 

Message 18 of 29

what is the solution

Message 19 of 29
Jowennl
in reply to: abdelrahman0150

Hello,

I can't believe this is still an issue.. But if you look up in the posting above, I think good old save close and open again can fix the issue.

Cheers,

Jowenn

.... This post above

I just had this happen yesterday while using the Alignment Layout Tools, All toolbar icons became grayed out (in a file I had been editing alignment on a regular basis for weeks).

After thinking I'd lost my mind I exited the file and reopened. Then Alignment Layout Tools worked fine. Civil 3d 2012 SP3 used.

Message 20 of 29
abdelrahman0150
in reply to: Jowennl

thx 

yes it solved by close and open again

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report