Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Producing cross sectional and profile views of a roadway

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
alvin9186
437 Views, 5 Replies

Producing cross sectional and profile views of a roadway

I have trouble producing cross sectional diagrams and profile views for a roadway.
So far i have a contour surface and a roadway centerline associated with it with alignments. I need to produce cross sectional diagrams showing elevations of the ETW on the level road as well as on super elevations.

Any suggestions on steps to produce the required diagrams would be appreciated
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
troma
in reply to: alvin9186

1. Create sample lines at specified stations by clicking on screen or typing the station value, or create them at regular stations by giving a range and the frequency.
  2. Create multiple section views from your sample lines.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 3 of 6
quinndbq

Assuming you need just existing condition sections, and labels at the ETW, here are some steps in addition to what was proposed previously.  This assumes that you have the sample lines and section views already created in your drawing.

You will need an ETW feature line on both sides of your road so that you can project them onto your Section Views.  If your ETW are drafted as polylines, convert them to a feature line using Convert ojects to Feature Line.  When you do this, you can get the feature line elevations from the Existing Ground Surface.  Now once this is finished, you can then project the feature lines onto your Section Views to show the labels.  NOTE: You could also use 3D polylines for this, but feature lines are typically better to manage and work with.

Using the command "Project Objects to Multiple Section Views", (Modify Ribbon - Section Views - Launch Pad extension), you can toggle on Feature Lines, then select the settings and Label Style that you'd like to see on your section views.  It will add a label to every section view (both left and right) where the ETW feature line crosses over the sample line.

Hopefully at the very least, this will point you in the right direction.  There are other ways that you could accomplish this, but this could be the quickest and easiest.

Message 4 of 6
alvin9186
in reply to: quinndbq

That works out ok, thanks. But is there any way i can show cross sections of super elevations. My design contains two curves, 600' and450'?
Message 5 of 6
quinndbq

If you need to show your superelevation on your section views, I'd do the following.

Create a corridor object, then add that to your Section Views.  Here are the major tasks involved:

1. Add the superelevation data to your alignment.  You can do this from the provided Design Criteria Files, or enter in the super-elevation manually through the Tabular Editor.

2. Create the design profile for your roadway.

3. Create an assembly that illustrates your lane widths, and any other detail needed.  If you are working with something simple, I suggest using the Generic Links.  If you want something more detailed, look into the other subassemblies.  Make sure you use a subassembly that allows for superelevation (aka...LinkWidthandSlope)

4. Once you have these 3, then you can create a corridor that combines them all together.

5. Add the corridor into your Sample Lines, and they will now show up in your Section Views.

6. You can then label the pavement cross slopes, which can be done with a Code Set Style, and Link label style.

I believe this will get you to your end goal, and it probably your best option.  There are a lot of steps within each of these tasks, but this is the basic framework of what you'll need to do.

Message 6 of 6
alvin9186
in reply to: quinndbq

This helps a lot...thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report