Active Contributor
Message 1 of 7 (202 Views)
Accepted Solution

Problem With Imported Points

202 Views, 6 Replies
01-14-2013 08:33 PM

Hello,

I'm very new to Civil 3D.

I've been given origional topography in a .dwg file and a .csv file of the same topography after some dirt work.

My problem is when I import the .csv file the points don't overlay the origional topography. 

What I have done is addeded the .csv points to the origional topography .dwg with the "Points From File" option.

Please ask questions if you need to.

Thank you for any help,

Joy

Mentor
Message 2 of 7 (177 Views)

Re: Problem With Imported Points

01-14-2013 11:48 PM in reply to: Joyfer

Joy, Have you added the points in the same format. ENZ versus NEZ for instance? Or maybe the coordinate system is not same? When you add the points are they close to where they should be? are they offset by a standard amount, or not in the right shape at all?

Are you able to post the two files here?

Cheers

- Mick

Infrastructure Design Suite Premium 2014
Self-built i7-3930K, 16Gb RAM, P9X79 m/board
SSD(system), HDD(data), Win7Pro64, Quadro K4000
*Expert Elite*
sboon
Message 3 of 7 (174 Views)

01-14-2013 11:50 PM in reply to: Joyfer

We're going to need more information in order to help.  Are the new survey points in approximately the same location, or a completely different place?  One of the common mistakes that people make is to import data using the wrong file format so that they swap the northings and eastings - is this possible for your situation?

Can you post the drawing and data file for us to look at?

Active Contributor
Message 4 of 7 (141 Views)

01-15-2013 12:21 PM in reply to: sboon

Thanks guys,

The imported points show up 143,000 feet north west of the original topography, and they are rotated 90 degrees clockwise.

I imported the .csv file as PNEZD (comma delimited).

Because the topography drawing is too large, I attached a .dwg outlining the area and the .csv file of the dirt work.

I appreciate your help very much.

*Expert Elite*
AllenJessup
Message 5 of 7 (136 Views)

01-15-2013 12:56 PM in reply to: Joyfer

I can't open the drawing as I'm still on 2012. But your description of how the point are coming in would indicate that either the point files are PENZD or you accidentally imported them in that format. Confirm that you did use PNEZD and if so try PENZD.

What I'm trying to say is that it sounds like the Northings and Eastings are reversed.

*Expert Elite*
sboon
Message 6 of 7 (133 Views)

01-15-2013 01:05 PM in reply to: Joyfer

I imported your point files using PNEZD (comma delimited) and everything looks fine.  It sounds like you might have accidentally used PENZD by mistake.

Active Contributor
Message 7 of 7 (128 Views)

01-15-2013 01:43 PM in reply to: sboon

Great that worked. I cant tell you how much I appreciate your help.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you interested in helping shape the Autodesk Community?
We’re looking at a few different ways to improve the “All Forums” landing page and need your feedback! If interested, please take a few minutes to fill out the following Usability Study. Thank you for your time!

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Civil 3D Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for AutoCAD Civil 3D helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Civil 3D

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs