Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible to create a 3D Object that gives you volume?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
773 Views, 10 Replies

Possible to create a 3D Object that gives you volume?

Hello,

I created an enclosed "object" adding break lines to two different surfaces. (Please refer to the attached drawing)

The blue surface shown on the attached drawing is a set of break lines added to "Surface A" and then the red is the other set of break lines added to "Surface B". I have already generated the volume enclosed within the surfaces by doing a surface to surface volume calculation.

My Question:

I want to combine the enclosed volume created by Surface A & Surface B into a 3D "Block" that give me the volume information. Is there a way?

Thank you

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Sinc
in reply to: Anonymous

Really confused by what you mean as a "3D Block that will give volume information"...

Are you now trying to create a 3D solid of the difference...?  If so, what is your end purpose?  How do you intend to use this?

Sinc
Message 3 of 11
antoniovinci
in reply to: Sinc

Sinc wrote:

what is your end purpose?  How do you intend to use this?

I guess he wants to calculate the earthwork, i.e. how much terrain to take away from blue surface to obtain the red one.

Message 4 of 11
neilyj666
in reply to: Anonymous

Create a tin volume surface?

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 5 of 11
Sinc
in reply to: neilyj666

If a volume is the key end goal, then yes, a volume surface is the way to go.  You can also use the "Volumes" tool (on the Anayze tab in the Ribbon), but that is not persistent, and you have to redo everything once you close out of that tool.  So creating a Volume Surface is typically more-useful, unless you are "just browsing".

Was just confused by the fact that the OP indicated he had already created a volume surface, and now wanted a "3D Block"...  not sure what that is, or how it would be used.  Or maybe the OP used the "Volumes" tool, instead of creating a Volume Surface...?  That's why I was asking for clarification.

Sinc
Message 6 of 11
thepworth

Sinc,

I think this is akin to creating a interference object in base/vanilla autocad as a 3D solid.  What the OP might be able to do is to take the 2 surfaces, extract out the contours.   Then use the 3D "Loft" command to create a surface object.  Cut a 3D cube with the plane(s) to create a 3D Solid & then compare/interference check between the two solids to get back to C3D's volume surface in 3 dimensions versus a 2.5D comparison between 2 surfaces (cut/fill at elevation).

But I'm not sure why this would have any advantage over C3D unless you're looking at something like a mining ore body, where there is other (more expensive) software that has features we dont....

Message 7 of 11
Sinc
in reply to: thepworth

Ah yes, forgot about that, since I don't do mining surveys.  (This is an area where Carlson is way ahead of Autodesk, although I still think Autodesk is ahead for most users  And Calrson Mining is actually CHEAPER than C3D, BTW...)

Sinc
Message 8 of 11
thepworth

True - Carlson escaped me - I was thinking of Vulcan, which I heard rumors of $100k/seat....

Message 9 of 11
antoniovinci

thepworth wrote:

Cut a 3D cube with the plane(s) to create a 3D Solid

Are you really sure you can trim a solid cube with a "loft" surface, sir..?

Message 10 of 11
thepworth
in reply to: antoniovinci

I had a roundabout way to do it, I think it may have been a "skillbuilder" exercise that I used as a teaching exercise for my 3D Autocad class I taught.  If I can find my source or a .pdf, I"ll gladly post.

Message 11 of 11
thepworth

O.K. its an example out of the Wiley Mastering AutoCAD 2011 book in the 3D drafting section.  You loft from contour to contour and then slice a cube to make a solid.  Sorry, since it's from my e-book version, I can't post & violate the copywrite... 😞

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report