Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pond Volumes

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
sdevin
470 Views, 10 Replies

Pond Volumes

Is there an easy way to compute a stage storage relationship for a pond? The hard way seems to require making a series of flat surface models at various water surface elevations and then creating a series of volume surfaces. I am trying to use this methodology but there has got to be a better way. Also, I am having problems with reporting the voulme surface quantities in cubic feet. I went to the settings tab and thought that I had changed the volume units in the create surface command but this did not seem to have any effect.

Thanks

Steven C. Devin, P.E.
Consulting Engineer
Civil 3D 2007 SP3
Dell Precision 670
Dual Xeon 3.2 MHz
3 GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro FX3400 256MB
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: sdevin

You should be using sample lines and volume tables, not volume surfaces.
The tables are dynamic and you may not need as many flat surfaces as you
think.

--
Larry Bettes
ADT, C3D & LDT/CD
(all 2007 with all SPs installed)
P4 - Dual Core 3.0 GHz, 3.00 GB RAM
nVidia GeForce 6800 GS AGP - 256 MB
Windows XP Pro, SP 2

wrote in message news:5515625@discussion.autodesk.com...
Is there an easy way to compute a stage storage relationship for a pond?
The hard way seems to require making a series of flat surface models at
various water surface elevations and then creating a series of volume
surfaces. I am trying to use this methodology but there has got to be a
better way. Also, I am having problems with reporting the voulme surface
quantities in cubic feet. I went to the settings tab and thought that I had
changed the volume units in the create surface command but this did not seem
to have any effect.

Thanks

Steven C. Devin, P.E.
Consulting Engineer
Civil 3D 2007 SP3
Dell Precision 670
Dual Xeon 3.2 MHz
3 GB RAM
Message 3 of 11
alberto_go

Why don't you just use your water surface elevations (proposed contours) and add them to your surface as beaklines to help you create a proposed surface/pond. Then you can compare your new pond to EG to see how much earthwork/volume you are generating. Just a thought!

AG
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous

That's how I've always done it. It's not too bad having a bunch of flat
surfaces, though I agree there should be a better way. Add it to the wish
list.

Matt
Message 5 of 11
sdevin

Hi Matt,

I think you were refering to my approach. It was so much easier in Eagle Pt.

Steve
Message 6 of 11
sdevin

The pond I am trying to obtain volumes from is one that forms on natural ground upstream of a road embankment. So I yhink that a prismoidal volume calculation is appropriate. I don't have an alignment from which to create sample lines plus I'm not sure how sample lines would work if I'm interested in a the volume contained at a given water surface elevation. I will say that I am fairly new to C3D and have'nt utilized sample lines often.
Message 7 of 11
alberto_go

I don't get.... where's your "flat surfaces" at? I am assuming that the proposed contours have a Z-Elevation, which these, once you add them to your surface as breaklines (or contours, whatever is more appropriate) then will help you create your pond in 3D (not flat).... then you'll be comparing this proposed surface to your EG. It's only a one step process, where NO flat surfaces are created or needed....

AG
Message 8 of 11
sdevin

The existing ground surface contours are highly irregular. I have a surface for the existing ground. I made a series of surfaces that are flat and used a closed polyline with an assigned elevation as a "contour" to create the surface at the correct elevation. Then I created a volume surface using the existing ground as the base and the flat water surface as the comparison surface. I guess that I could have compared them in the utilities menu under the surface menu. Actually, I tried that but I hoped to get the volumes computed in cubic feet. So, you are right. I would have saved a lot of time if I had omitted the volume surface step.
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous

There is a routine in Many Areas, stage storage volumes, that will calculate
the capacity of the pond froma model at user defined interval. Many Areas
is part of the SiteTools suite of routines that enhances Civil 3D for
Site/Subdivision Designers. Download the FREE 30 day fully functioning
evaluation version http://www.rsteltman.com/

wrote in message news:5515625@discussion.autodesk.com...
Is there an easy way to compute a stage storage relationship for a pond?
The hard way seems to require making a series of flat surface models at
various water surface elevations and then creating a series of volume
surfaces. I am trying to use this methodology but there has got to be a
better way. Also, I am having problems with reporting the voulme surface
quantities in cubic feet. I went to the settings tab and thought that I had
changed the volume units in the create surface command but this did not seem
to have any effect.

Thanks

Steven C. Devin, P.E.
Consulting Engineer
Civil 3D 2007 SP3
Dell Precision 670
Dual Xeon 3.2 MHz
3 GB RAM
Message 10 of 11
mmccall

What if ...

You paste the current surface into a new blank surface.
Add a boundary to limit it to the area where we need the volume calcs. (a user contour would help determine this area)
Now spec an elevation range analysis on this surface and add a table to show the results. The elevation ranges will at first start from the lowest elevation of the surface and divide it into an even number of ranges, however you can edit the elevation ranges to be whatever you want. (1' from the lowest elevation, even elevations, etc) The table can show things like 2d area and range volumes from this analysis. The analysis/surface style can also show these areas color coded to the table.

I knew I saw this somewhere before.
http://civil3drocks.blogspot.com/2006/06/table-that-lists-area-and-volume-at.html Message was edited by: MMccall
Message 11 of 11
petrocat

This topic gets posted on about once a month, maybe 2008 will have it built in.

If you have a surface that models the basin there is a fairly simple, yet still unreasonable method considering the "power" of C3D. Add a boundary around the area of the surface that has the pond (this may be a surface that you've had to paste a proposed surface into to make it correct). Use the Copy command and make a duplicate surface. Change the contours to the intervals desired. The Explode your copied surface till you have the contours as polylines. List their area, and then use some method of obtaining the volume, like average end area, or some more complicated method depending on the size of pond, and your best engineering judgment.

A faster way would be to use a 3rd party software.

As for using the surface table... and you thought my method was long, at least it give correct results.

Mark

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report