Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pond Cross Section

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
dnherb
3264 Views, 6 Replies

Pond Cross Section

I was interested in knowing how you all handle creating a cross sectioning of a proposed detention pond. Thanks. Is it worth creating an alignment and using section lines?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
jmayo-EE
in reply to: dnherb

It is worth it for me when I have a number of surfaces to show with pipes, water surfaces and perhaps floor elevations. I use an alignment and a profile view that is set up to appear as a cross section. The alignment has labeling to make it look like a section line in plan as well. I use surface profiles and add linework as I need. I toggle the profile from dynamic to static when I am done to prevent the profile view from reacting to revisons if required. We also have a bunch of profile view and note labels set up to label the 'section'. I also use surfaces to depict water levels and floor elevations. Set the alignment ref point to the midpoint of the alignment to get station zero situated. See the attached for examples.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 3 of 7
mathewkol

Is it worth it? What other options are you considering?
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 4 of 7
dnherb
in reply to: mathewkol

Well I was in somewhat of a rush and decided created quick profiles, exported the drawing as an ACAD file and utilized the line work that way.  Outside of that I received a suggestion to just use the line command and draw it in.  Deep in my heart I know there was a better way and that’s what led me here. I would like for the cross section to be dynamic considering the amount of times our pond sizes change. Could someone tell me further details about the labeling? What type of labels styles are available if any at all. Thanks again.

Message 5 of 7
dnherb
in reply to: jmayo-EE

Thanks John, your pictures are hard to make out.  Can I trouble you to enlarge them?  Another question, is your Rip–Rap dynamic, I take it you added the line work and hatch it.  Also your text, is it just plain mtext or a note style. Thanks

Message 6 of 7
mathewkol

You seem not to have any useful alternative, which is why I asked.  Hand-drawn, YIKES.  Quick Profile is no good.

Alignment/Profile/Sanmple ines are your only solution.  There are various labeling options depending on what you need.  Very likely there will be some static AutoCAD text, hatch, etc in there.

Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 7 of 7
jmayo-EE

I'm a bit busy but here is one.

Rip rap and walls are blocks in this one. They can easily be taken out of the thick datum line with various modeling techniques. Some text labels, dims & C3D labels.

profile view labels for wall elv's, WS. I aslo have them for floor elevations.

profile labels for the slope labels, note labels with ref txt for profile name.

I type ADDLABELS & leave the dialog open until everything is labeled.

John Mayo

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report