Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Points - some methods not being entered into drawing

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
dolorespicard6832
280 Views, 7 Replies

Points - some methods not being entered into drawing

I have a large drawing with a lot of information in it.

I am able to import new points, I am able to create points from a corridor.....but it will not let me enter in a new point manually.

When I go to enter a new point, it goes through all the motions asking for location, assigning a Northing and Easting and asking for a descriptor....but it does not show up in either the drawings or in the points listing.

I have purged, audited and shut down.

Any other thoughts? or has anyone else run across this?

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Sinc
in reply to: dolorespicard6832

Yep, it's an ancient bug that I think has been in every release of C3D so far...

Check your Next Point Number.  If it's set to a number that is already in-use, then you get the behavior you describe.

Sinc
Message 3 of 8
dolorespicard6832
in reply to: Sinc

If that's the case, why am I able to import new points and create new points from a corridor?

Message 4 of 8

I don't see how you even list the next available point number in C3D 2012???

Message 5 of 8

Some things just are the way they are. The manual point creation tool has this occasional bug and the point import tool doesn't.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 6 of 8

I copied about 50,000 of the points into a new drawing and it worked.

It appears I 'm going to have to work on drawing file management skills.

The drawing seems to get bamboozled with bugs if it's too big.

thank you for your help

Message 7 of 8
Sinc

@dolorespicard6832 wrote:

I don't see how you even list the next available point number in C3D 2012???

From the Ribbon -> Home tab, select Points -> Point Creation Tools.  Click on the chevron in the upper-right to expand.

NextPtNum.png

50,000 Cogo Points is a lot.  It's not so much that the drawing gets buggy, as performance gets slow.

In many cases, the reason for importing that many points is usually to create a Surface.  If that's the case, you don't have to import the points.  You can add your Point File to the Surface definition.  That results in much better performance.

Sinc
Message 8 of 8
Sinc

Oops, I might have answered the wrong question...

In C3D 2011 and later, to see what point numbers are available, click on Ribbon -> Modify tab -> Points, then "List Available Point Numbers" is in the "COGO Point Tools".

Prior to C3D 2011, you needed to write your own routine for this (or have a third-party package like the Sincpac-C3D).  Or go look at the Points collection in Toolspace, and scroll through the list of Points to see which numbers have been used.

Sinc

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report