Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Points and groups are gone after drawing recovery......

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
hkaplan1227
900 Views, 7 Replies

Points and groups are gone after drawing recovery......

I'm using Civl3D 2013 and I have a drawing that crashed and a recover dwg was created.

I ran the recovery and now the points and groups are gone. Is there a way to get them back?

I can go back to an older drawing. But, i'm trying to avoid losing a few hours of cleanup.

Is this just one of the bugs that is in Civil3D?

We are about to abandon civil3d for survey and go to Carlson because of other point issues.

Any input would be appreciated

Howard Kaplan, Civil3D 2014
Dell Optiplex 9010
Intel I-7 3770 CPU @ 3.4 Ghz
16 gb RAM, 64 bit

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Jay_B
in reply to: hkaplan1227

You can check your temp file location for an autosave file . Sv$ extension and rename it to dwg and open file.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 3 of 8
hkaplan1227
in reply to: Jay_B

I always do and i forgot all about that. The line work was saved it was just the points, styles and point groups disappeared..

But, is this a typical problem when a drawing crashes and you need to recover the file? It will be a huge problem

Dell Optiplex 9010
16 gb RAM, 64 bit

Message 4 of 8
Jay_B

I can't say it's typical as I've never experienced losing any survey info like your describing.

With any AutoCad files and potential data loss, I find the best solution to be to save often.

I see your using C3d 2013, do you have the latest updates installed?

Version can be verified by entering ABOUT at command line and the available updates can be found Here

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 5 of 8
hkaplan1227
in reply to: Jay_B

Thanks, Jay

As far as I know we have the latest updates installed. I will double check.

In th past the data was save externally. So, if the drawing crashed any LDD or Civil3d object got saved. Which is safer.

Now the data is stored within the drawing. The lose of data is at greater risk. I hope they had a real good reason for making this change

Dell Optiplex 9010
16 gb RAM, 64 bit

Message 6 of 8
IanMcClain

Point data can still be saved in an exteral database in C3D, along with figures created from surveyed points. It has the advantage over LDD in that points are saved based on their import event, whereas LDD kept no trail of points that were imported. The disadvantage is now you have to spend time managing/associating the database instead of it being automatic like LDD.

Ian McClain
Message 7 of 8
Jay_B

In Civil 3d you can also create use external Survey Database and one of the benefits in doing so is the ability to have the linework be generated from the survey into Survey Figures which are managed by the Figure Prefix Database (an external file that can be customized according to your cad standards). Another external file called the  "Linework Code Set"  defines the linework coding to be  entered by surveyor. 

Within the FPD you can set which lines will be used as breaklines etc. when creating a surface and then create an EG Point Group to determine which points will be included / excluded from surface creation in your dwt. We have an "EG Surface Points" point group for this purpose.

Hope this helps.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 8 of 8
Joe-Bouza

Hi Howard

Civil3d object have never been retained if you have a fatal error and answer affirmative to the FE dialog to save for recover. Your best bet is to save early and often, and make sure autosave is on.

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report