Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Points and Layers

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
bhamilton
585 Views, 7 Replies

Points and Layers

Okay guys it has been awhile since I fireup Civil 3d.  I am trying to put some point on different layers so that they are easier to see and make break lines and such.  But the points only show up on the layer that were originally inported into, (V-NODE).

I created a group, (Toe of Mound),  point style, (Toe of Mound), a lable Style, (Toe of mound) and a layer (Toe of mound).

The points in the group "Toe of mound" have a Point Style "Toe of mound" and a Point Lable Style "Toe of mound"

The Point Style "Toe of mound" is set to display on the Layer "Toe of mound"

and the Lable Style "Toe of mound" is set to display on the Layer "Toe of mound"

But the points only show on the original layer "V-NODE"

How do I get them to show on the layers I want them to show on?

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
bhamilton
in reply to: bhamilton

I ended up editing the points themselves, (from within the point group), and changing the layer via edit point.  

Message 3 of 8
troma

You should be able to grab all the points with a window in the drawing and put them on the layer, same as any other object.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 4 of 8
bruce.jordan

You are dealing with Object layers, and component layers.

The layer the point gets created on is the object layer.

The layers you are referring to in the Point Style, and Point Label Style are the component layers.

If I understand the question correctly, I'd take a look at creating and using a Description Key Set

Include a "code" such as TOM (for top of mound).

Set the style you want to use, and the label style you want to use (note: if left unchecked or checked and set to default, then it will use the style of the point's active point group)

Then set the layer you want to use for TOM points.  This is the object layer.

I don't see what version of C3D you are using but I believe starting with 2011 you can "Apply desc keys to points"

And if new points, just make sure "Disable Description Keys = False" and make sure to use a description that is included in your description key set.

Also, I find it works best to set the Point Label Style layer to 0, and use the Point Style to set the Label layer.

-Bruce

Message 5 of 8
tcorey

Optional to the use of layers is to put the points on one layer, but control point visibility by using point groups.

If you make a point group for TOP and want to isolate that, make a point group for OFF (or NoDisplay, Hide, Invisible, etc.) Include all points and set Point Style and Point Label Style to None. Then, right click on Point Groups on the Prospector tab, pick properties. Move points groups above or below the OFF group to make them display or hide. Above OFF will display and below OFF will hide.

This is an efficient way to isolate points without worrying about layers.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 6 of 8
BrianHailey
in reply to: tcorey

@tcorey wrote:

Optional to the use of layers is to put the points on one layer, but control point visibility by using point groups.

I disagree. I don't think point groups should be thought of as an alternative to using layers, it's an additional method to control the display.

For example, I have point groups for each days worth of surveying but I only want to see the control points for day 2. Use the method you explained to only display the points from the Day 2 Survey point group and then use layers to display only the control points. Using just layers or just point groups, it would be very difficult to do this (you would end up with a ton of layers and/or point groups).

Just my thoughts.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 7 of 8
dgordon
in reply to: BrianHailey

I personally have found point groups to be able to handle any point display I've needed.   I always keep layer freeze thaw in my toolbox though just in case.  Smiley Wink

Dan

Civil 3D 2013
Win 7 Pro x64
Intel Xeon 2.0GHz
12Gb Ram
ATI Firepro 4800
Dell T5500
www.preinnewhof.com
Message 8 of 8
C3D_TomR
in reply to: dgordon

I use both layers and point groups. I use point groups for temporary visibility needs as Brian Hailey described. I use layers for permanent visibility needs so that I don't find myself in a situation where everything is OFF through point groups but I need to see control points for an exhibit that has the original point drawing attached as an xref.

--Tommie

Tom Richardson

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature
Autodesk Certified Professional in Civil 3D for Infrastructure Design
AutoCAD Certified Professional
------------------------------------
Autodesk AEC Community Blog
Crossing the line with Civil 3D
Twitter | LinkedIn
------------------------------------
Austin CAD User Group Resources
Blog | Discord | LinkedIn

Autodesk Group Network Leader

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report