Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Points Remain after Removing Feature Line from Surface

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
JOHNMCMENAMIN3259
2021 Views, 9 Replies

Points Remain after Removing Feature Line from Surface

I needed to remove a feature line that I used as a breakline when creating a surface.   When I removed the feature line from the definition of the surface, the grading did not change.  It appears the points created by the feature line remain which is why grading didn't change.  The only work around was to delete these points.   I noticed the same thing happens when I removed the surface boundary and inserted a new boundary.  Any help understanding why these points remain and how to remove when I delete boundary and feature line from surface?

Thanks in advance.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
troma
in reply to: JOHNMCMENAMIN3259

My only thought is: are you rebuilding the surface after you remove the breakline or boundary?

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 3 of 10

Yes - I rebuild the surface after the removal.

Message 4 of 10

My guess, go to the surface properties of your surface and on the Definitions tab turn off "Copy deleted dependent objects"

HERE

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 5 of 10

I already had checked that since that would make the most sense.  But already was set to “NO”.  Not sure if this related but when I tried to “simplify” the grading in a particular area and then “removed” the simplify from the definition, those points also remained and did not delete.

Message 6 of 10
Jeff_M
in reply to: JOHNMCMENAMIN3259

You've probably done this since this has been ongoing, but have you shut down C3D, restarted C3D and reopened the drawing? I've had cases where no surface updates would occur until I did this.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 7 of 10

When you built the surface, did you do any old-school Land Desktop edits like flipping triangles, or adding and deleting TIN lines?  I had a project once where mystery edits kept pulling the surface up and down by where feature lines used to be.  I was tearing my hair out, and eventually looked in the edits box and saw there were hundreds of triangle flips and edits that somebody else had done:  Once I deleted all those the surface fixed itself.

My general advice is don't ever use those old-school edits--find alternate ways to add data by modifying and adding more feature lines.

Hopefully this helps,

Jeremy

Message 8 of 10
JOHNMCMENAMIN3259
in reply to: Jeff_M

Yes - did try rebooting and no change to surface.

Message 9 of 10

I believe I resolved problem - I went through what I had included in my surface building under "Definition" tab.  I saw I had "Create Snapshot" in the definition which I believed copied all of my surface points.  My drawing recently crashed and it may have been created at that time.  When I removed "Create Snapshot" from the definition, all of the old unwanted points went away.    Thanks all for responding.  While the responses didn't directly resolve my problem, it forced me to look in areas that I may not have otherwise.  Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Message 10 of 10

You should mark your post as an answer. That way when others are searching they will see this post has an answer to the question. 

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report