Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Point labels in two different viewports

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Cirb9
2638 Views, 3 Replies

Point labels in two different viewports

I am working with a large site that is needing some grading changes. I also have a new addition to an existing building on this site. I have my overall site grading plan and proposed grading plan for around the new addition on the same sheet, separate viewports, separate scales. The proposed addition can be seen in the overall site plan, but I required additional detail around the footprint so I added the second viewport. I want to show my existing and proposed elevations on both viewports and I have a lot of survey points. I know how to setup my point styles and dragged point styles...etc. My issue is I can get the point labels to look good on my larger site plan (scale 1:1000) but when I look at the smaller plan (scale 1:250) the labels are a ways away from the point marker, I know this is because the label is annotative, is there an overide? I tried setting up a second point group for each existing and proposed (one set to work in the 1:1000 and the other for in the 1:250. Then since I required the spot elevations from the 1:250 in the 1:1000 still, I created new layers and copied the points to both so I could have viewport control of which style I saw. After I was all done it didnt work properly and I had spent a lot of time with no results. Was this close to right? Or is there an easier way?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
mathewkol
in reply to: Cirb9

If you plan on using points as your prefered labeling object...

1. Make separate DWG files for your overall site and grading plans.
  2. Add all of your points to a survey database.
  3. Import the desired points into each plan and adjust label positions as needed.

If you plan on making surfaces and using spot elevation labels as your prefered labeling object...

1. Add labels as desired for the overall plan.
  2. Make a layer specific to the overall site plan.
  3. Move the spot labels to this layer.
  4. Add lanels as desired for the grading plan.
  5. Make a layer specific to this plan.
  6. Move the grading spot labels to this layer.
  7. Turn on and off layers in the appropriate viewports as required.

I prefer the spot labels as I'd rather not have to deal with the survey database.  If you NEED points and not spot labels, then you have little choice.

Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 3 of 4
andrewpuller3811

If you are using dragged states that are very similar for all your point labels in the detail area, you could make a label that has a leader as part of the label itself rather than added as when dragged. Just make it from a block and 2 lines. Then attach the text components to the end of the line. No matter what viewport scale you use the labels offset will appear the same. Only problem with this is that if you want the label to appear as different dragged states, you will need a seperate label style for each.

If a post provides a fix for your issue, click on "Accept as Solution" to help other users find solutions to problems they might have that are similar to yours.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit
Intel core i7 11800 @ 2.30 GHz with 32GB Ram
Civil 3d 2021
Message 4 of 4
Sinc

@Cirb9 wrote:

My issue is I can get the point labels to look good on my larger site plan (scale 1:1000) but when I look at the smaller plan (scale 1:250) the labels are a ways away from the point marker, I know this is because the label is annotative, is there an overide?

The problem is more that C3D elements are NOT Annotative, but instead use their own unique scaling mechanism.

Annotative objects have the ability to be placed in different places for each scale.  If we could do the same with C3D Labels, then you would have a relatively easy solution to this problem.  Unfortunately, C3D Labels are still missing a lot of the functionality we now have with Annotative objects.  Also unfortunately, things like MLeaders are also missing features from C3D Labels, so we can't always substitute Annotative Objects for our C3D Labels (although that's sometimes a good solution).

Matt and Andrew gave some possible workarounds.  You don't really need a Survey Database for Matt's first suggestion, though...  You can also use any other available method (e.g. Point Files, Copy-and-Paste) to get copies of your Survey Points into a new 1:250 DWG file, which you can XREF into your 1:250 sheets.

Sinc

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report