AutoCAD Civil 3D General

Active Contributor
lkirby
Message 1 of 6 (635 Views)
Accepted Solution

Point identity - point number reset to 1

635 Views, 5 Replies
09-27-2012 08:07 AM

I'm trying to calc points manually on an older project that already has a bunch of points.  My current drawing has none but when I go to Points>Create Points>Point Identity>Next Point Number and set it to 3000, when I create the next point, it still goes to the lowest available point number that would have been the next in the sequence had I started at 1, so when trying to creat point number '3008', it gives me '9' instead.  Is there somewhere else to change the next number in the sequence or do I just have to suck it up and edit all the point numbers after I'm done?

C3D 2013

Distinguished Contributor
albionpjl
Message 2 of 6 (631 Views)

Re: Point identity - point number reset to 1

09-27-2012 08:23 AM in reply to: lkirby

I just had some questions about points and the answer plus a bit more info should get you there. (I had to reset the point number after fiddling so had to work out how to do it)

You want the edit command settings box for points.

Go here

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D/Points-creation-change-default-local-coordinates-perm...

Scroll to the answer with the screenie. Open that same dialogue box he said, and then scroll down to point identity. Change next number there and save. It worked for me.

Active Contributor
lkirby
Message 3 of 6 (624 Views)

09-27-2012 08:40 AM in reply to: albionpjl

thanks for that - it didn't fix this issue but helped with something else I've been having trouble with :smileyhappy:

I think I found a bit of a work-around but it's still annoying.  If I change my point creation method (go from manual to station/offset, etc) the point numbers reset again.  If I can choose my point creation method, set my next point number, then create points without changing the method, it will stay at the correct number.  I just have to remember to change it again for my next chunk of points each time.

*Expert Elite*
mathewk
Message 4 of 6 (603 Views)

09-27-2012 02:02 PM in reply to: lkirby
The way you're doing it (within the points creation toolbar) does it only for that session. To change it permanently you need to change that same setting but in the settings tab and then r click Points and edit feature settings.
Matt Kolberg
Cansel - Autodesk Division
http://www.cansel.ca/
Active Contributor
lkirby
Message 5 of 6 (588 Views)

09-28-2012 07:21 AM in reply to: mathewk

After wrestling with it more yesterday I think I've actually run into some sort of bug.  It's really not consistent.  I am able to change the point number under point creation and it will create a few points in the correct number series but when I exit the command but the point creation window is still open, then I try to create more points, it either resets back to 1 or it resets back to the first number that I manually changed it to, not whatever number I left off on.  It's really strange.  On top of all of this, it will allow me to make a few points but after a couple, not changing anything but just going along continuously, the command line will still be asking for point description and elevation but the points are not actually being created.  

The end of yesterday was creating a new dwg and inserting the old one as a block.  The dwg I started with was a 3rd party file so hopefully this was all just some weird glitch and this will fix it.  I'll respond back with what I come up with today.

Active Contributor
lkirby
Message 6 of 6 (581 Views)

09-28-2012 08:26 AM in reply to: lkirby

I've been working on this now the past couple hours and I'm pretty convinced it was a glitch.  Point numbers are now behaving as expected when I manually set my starting number so I guess we can add this to the bug list.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Civil 3D Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for AutoCAD Civil 3D helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Civil 3D

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs