Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Point attribute data will disappear over time

28 REPLIES 28
Message 1 of 29
zancudo_tj
2051 Views, 28 Replies

Point attribute data will disappear over time

I am working with points with attribute information, importing a .csv into civil3d 2010 via custom fields in the user define classifications and import with a custom import format. All my points fall on the correct layers and all is good. I can select a point and view all the attribute information under the unclassified tab in my properties tab i.e. road name, width,  surface….. I create an individual dwg, save it and insert it into a master dwg. At this point all my attributes are in the master drawing and no problems what so ever. However for some reason all my attribute information is disappearing over time, it could be five minutes later or it could be the next day. I have exported points with hopes they are just not showing up in the properties window but no luck there. Any idea where or why the data is being dropped??

thanks for any help you can throw this way,

Ty

28 REPLIES 28
Message 21 of 29
KTitus
in reply to: stevekersey

I'm using C3D 2012 SP3.0 64 bit install; I've created them in the survey toolbox extended properties and as a custom attribute of a cogo point. Both have the same results except it's quicker to get the survey points back into the drawing.

I've put both different types of points in the drawing at the same time and undoing a delete on a cogo point clears the survey properties & cogo point properties (and vice versa)

All the user-defined definitions for the survey points are under the survey point drop down (and not the survey database drop down). I exported the sdx_def file; hopefully it can be resolved in there.

Message 22 of 29
stevekersey
in reply to: KTitus

Well, our install seems to be the same. The only problem we get is when
we graphically delete a point in the drawing. That and there never seems
to be a computer that can run AutoCAD at full speed and it often locks up
if I select a command before the last one is finished. It still takes a
lot of patience to work with AutoCAD.
--
Steve Kersey, PLS
Survey Project Manager

CEI
3108 S.W. Regency Parkway, Suite 2
Bentonville, AR 72712

Phone: 479-273-9472
Cell: 479-295-2163
Solutions for Land and Life
CEIENG.COM
Arkansas | California | Georgia | Louisiana | Minnesota | Pennsylvania |
Texas
This message could contain confidential information. Unless you are the
addressee (or authorized to receive for the addressee), you may not copy,
use, or distribute this information. If you have received this message in
error, please advise Steve Kersey, PLS immediately at 1-479-273-9472 or
return it promptly by mail.
Message 23 of 29
curlinpw

We have had the same agravating frustrating tiring senseless problem in 2010, 2012, 2014 -

We can import and export points with up to 11 attributes if we don't undo or re-open the drawings. 

You can erase points, but you cannot undo or it will wipe everything out.

Graphically deleting points saves a lot of time instead of trying to find and match point numbers in the edit point list.

Re-importing the point file is the only option now - and it is very time consuming to re-do this task!

Phil

Message 24 of 29
seattlesurvey

I'm having the same issue, so I'm submitting this to add another data point...

We use point attributes to calculate and display invert data on all of our storm and sewer structures.  I just saw the 'disappearing attributes' issue for the first time last week after deleting a cogo point then UNDOing (by 'for the first time,' I mean that this is the first time I've done the cogo point delete/undo action (I do lots of deletes, but, apparently, no undos)).

Very bad thing - we're talking 60+ structures at this point (worse, of course, if this had happened with even more data in the drawing).

Running 2013.

Sure glad I found this thread last week; thanks!  I will now be exporting this data regularly as a fall-back in case this happens again.

Message 25 of 29

This thread has been extremely helpful. Thanks everyone!
Message 26 of 29
osvaldast
in reply to: zancudo_tj

The issue regarding Cogo points custom attributes’ values being cleared after using “Undo” operation still remains in AutoCAD Civil 2014 with SP1.

I am not sure if it is the right forum to post these types of bugs, but if it is, please find following steps to reproduce the issue:

1. Create Custom Classification, which contains one user defined property
  2. Assign classification to the Point Group
  3. Add three points
  4. Set value to the custom property of each point
  5. Delete one point via prospector or directly from the drawing
  6. Use “Undo” command to restore deleted point
  7. The custom attribute’s values of existing (not restored) points are cleared; the custom attribute’s value retained only on restored point.

In addition, please find the .dwg file attached with steps 1 to 4 completed. Just delete one point and watch how “CustomFields” values (listed as a last column in All Points group) are cleared after the "undo" command is executed.

Eagerly waiting for the fix.

Thanks

Message 27 of 29
IanMcClain
in reply to: zancudo_tj

Has anyone reported this bug to Autodesk?

Ian McClain
Message 28 of 29
osvaldast
in reply to: IanMcClain

Hi Ian,

Following your post i understand this forum is not the right place to report bugs.

I just have reported the issue to Autodesk.

Thanks

Message 29 of 29
KTitus
in reply to: osvaldast

Thank you for reporting this for us.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report