Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Point Marker Scale

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
mcloughlin
624 Views, 5 Replies

Point Marker Scale

We have many survey monument point markers set so that they will display at 0.1 the drawing scale size, i.e., if the drawing is set at 1"=10', these survey point markers are intended to appear at 1.0 ft. diameter, etc. (see appended sketch).

However, in Civil 3D 2014, insertion of points seems somehow to expand these markers as shown in the sketch.  Note that we can then insert the same symbol at the same scale, and as an inserted block it appears at the correct size.  Only when inserted as point markers do these markers seem to "expand" as shown.   

What are we missing?  Point Styles - Marker Scale.jpg

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
dpd2014
in reply to: mcloughlin

I am having the same problem inserting points from file. I can not adjust the scale for them to show correctly. HELP!

Message 3 of 6
SurveyorLee

There are several places to check.

First, check the size of the block in the block editor.

When you select the block for the description key, there are several options available for sizing

Last, when you use a description key set, if you do, there are more options there. 

I would recommend playing with just the block first, preferably in drawing set to a scale of 1"=1'.

Don't forget to import the revised block definition for each iteration, if you do. I made that mistake once.  Felt reallly bad when i realized why it would not change on each insertion.

Then, after you have it inserting correctly, start to play with the description key.  I know this is a lot of trial and error, but if you have a number to change, it will save lots of time on the others to know what you changed and how the changes effect the appearance.

Hope this helps.

Lee

Message 4 of 6
dpd2014
in reply to: SurveyorLee

It is a big help. If I want the symbol to show the same size in the drawing
when imported with points what scales do I need to set?

Thanks for the help,

Pat
Message 5 of 6
Pointdump

McL,

Whenever I see a problem with some factor of 12, I always suspect a feet-and-inch problem. Was your block created in Vanilla AutoCAD? I'd try creating the block in the same drawing and see how things work.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 6 of 6
SurveyorLee

Work with the block first.  Be sure it is drawn in a drawing that is set to 1"=1'

work with it at different scales.  See if it inserts at the correct size with you do a "block insert" and scale it to you drawing scale

For example,

If your scale is 1"=40', then you should scale it by 40.

When this is working correctly,

you are ready to begin setting the block as a point style and working with it.

You will select "use drawing scale" on it. and tell it you want it 0.1" tall

Then it will be time to go to the description keys. 

WHen you have the first part working, the description keys are easy.

Surveyor Lee

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report