Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Point Label Style using BLOCK

20 REPLIES 20
SOLVED
Message 1 of 21
mcloughlin
1356 Views, 20 Replies

Point Label Style using BLOCK

I would like to create a point label style that uses only a marker (block), with no text.  

I would like the block to insert at the point, but at zero elevation.  

I'm no doubt overlooking something important here, but when I start to create the new point label style, I notice all manner of ways to manipulate label text but no way to insert a block (marker), showing no text.  

What am I missing?  How do I create a point label style using only a marker (block) and containing no text?

Thanks!

20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
jmayo-EE
in reply to: mcloughlin

You set up a Point Style to show the block and turn off the Label style.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 3 of 21
mcloughlin
in reply to: jmayo-EE

Point Marker and Point Location 24 Apr 2014.jpgIn response to Jmayo, I think I wasn't clear.  

While we have plenty of POINT styles incorporating markers, we cannot move these markers because in Civil 3D the point and the marker are a single entity.  

We are a survey company, and we need to have symbol blocks that are moveable off the point location rather than being fixed to and part of the point as in a point style.  This is because in a survey many points often appear in a cluster, and for clarity of reading in a plat, we need to move the symbol blocks apart independent of the actual point location.  I append a sketch to show what I mean.  

Seems to me that if I could make a point LABEL STYLE that incorporated only the marker, I could then move the label/marker as I chose, as one moves a label about. This would theoretically eliminate the irritating welding of the Civil 3D point and its marker that prevents us from moving these markers around.  

My problem is that in the point label creation options, I have not yet found out a way to insert a block rather than text to act as a label.  

Thanks for the help.  

Message 4 of 21
jmayo-EE

The only way I see that working is to have the block an alpha numeric character in one of your text styles. An O, +, X or something from the Symbol or WingDings font.

You would make a text componet with just that character and attach any other point text you need to it. A point group could be made to override the point label style and the point style can be set to a small un-noticable dot, a non plotting or no symbol. 

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 5 of 21
ToddRogers-WPM

Just change your point label style to <none>.  

Todd Rogers
Message 6 of 21
jmayo-EE

Now that I look into this I see I can add a block to a point label style in 2013. What version are you using?

Todd, That will hide the sym in it's correct  location but he still needs on to display one in the incorrect location.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 7 of 21
tcorey

If you look in the list of components you can add to a Point Label Style, notice that one of those says Block. If you use a block as a component here, it can be moved using grips, just like if it was a text component. Be careful when moving the symbol. Just like with points that have text labels, picking the diamond grip will move the point. Picking the square grip will move only the symbol.

Tim

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 8 of 21
jmayo-EE
in reply to: tcorey

"Be careful when moving the symbol."

Oh yeah.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 9 of 21
mcloughlin

Tcorey says: "If you look in the list of components you can add to a Point Label Style, notice that one of those says Block."

THAT'S what I'm looking for!  Many thanks!

I'm using Civil 3D 2014.  In the Point Label Style creation dialogue, I see precisely three components: Number, Elevation and Description, all set for text.  I am no doubt looking in the wrong place.  Where do I find this option to add a Block component?  

Thanks again.  

Message 10 of 21
jmayo-EE

Click the button with the A+ icon as shown in my image above.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 11 of 21
jmayo-EE

Dang wrong image.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 12 of 21
mcloughlin

Tcorey says: "If you look in the list of components you can add to a Point Label Style, notice that one of those says Block."

THAT'S what I'm looking for!  Many thanks!

I'm using Civil 3D 2014.  In the Point Label Style creation dialogue, I see precisely three components: Number, Elevation and Description, all set for text.  I am no doubt looking in the wrong place.  Where do I find this option to add a Block component?  

Thanks again.  

Message 13 of 21
jmayo-EE

Look in the image I posted. You will see the button to push.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 14 of 21
tcorey

Directly to the right of where the existing components are listed is a symbol A+. Drop that list down and you can add a block component.

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Message 15 of 21
mcloughlin

Jmayo, this worked in locating the block.  However, the options for attaching the block do not seem to include one for attaching it on the point location itself (see appended image).  The block will affix to assorted options as shown, but not to the point.  

What am I missing?

Thanks for your patience.  

Point Label Style Composer BLOCK 04 Jun 2014.jpg

Message 16 of 21
jmayo-EE

It looks like that block has it's insertion point in the upper left corner. Looks like it would work if the block had it's isert point at the center OR in the label stlye adjuxt the X & y offsets to get the point to the center. I would recommend the first option and edit the existing block or create a new block.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 17 of 21
jmayo-EE

In your image you are correctly attaching to the feature. Make sure the anchor point is middle center as well.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 18 of 21
mcloughlin

Thank you, John.  Now of course I must situate the block directly on the point location.  The layout options presented (see attached image) don't seem to offer me that option.  

How do I cause the label block to insert directly on the point?

Thanks.  

Point Label Style Composer BLOCK 04 Jun 2014.jpg

Message 19 of 21
mcloughlin

The insertion point of the block (yellow concentric circles) is at the center of the circles.  There must be another option.  

Message 20 of 21
tcorey

Pick Anchor Component: Feature

Pick Anchor Point: Middle Center

Pick  Attachment: Middle Center

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report