Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Point Groups/Surfaces Different Layers and Colors

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
wings1080
3085 Views, 8 Replies

Point Groups/Surfaces Different Layers and Colors

i thought this should be a very simple thing to achieve but obviously not for me, PLEASE, can someone write out the steps involved in importing one set of points to a point group so that it is one color and on one layer and a different set of points onto a different layer with a different color??!!  We gather survey data using different methods and want to be able to overlay the data sets for quality control purposes and them being the same color is crazy making

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
ToddRogers-WPM
in reply to: wings1080

I created a video for you.  You can download it here...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6hah5rgri0t46mk/Temp.wmv

Todd Rogers
Message 3 of 9
IanMcClain
in reply to: ToddRogers-WPM

Nice video! To summarize, make a point style that uses BYLAYER or BYBLOCK for colors and layer 0 for the layer, then you place points on whatever layer you want and they will inherit the layers properties (like blocks).

Ian McClain
Message 4 of 9
wings1080

Thanks guys, I haven't even had time to review this but will next week, appreciate the help very much, working the weekend on a different project that is generating more hellish questions lol

Message 5 of 9
sboon

My process is a little different, but might give you some ideas.  Typically when I import points I create a group for each source data file.  The group name matches the file name to help with record keeping.  I use a Description Key that assigns a style, label style and layer to all points that match our coding system.  This allows me to use layer control to control the display of points by description.

If I want to analyze the survey work then I typically use Point Group overrides.  In this example I've created three styles, Blue Cross, Magenta Circle and Yellow Box, to go with the data files that came in today from the crews working on this project.  I can use this technique to see who did what, and I can combine it with the other process to filter the descriptions I want to check also.

Clipboard01.png

I can set the overrides for the _All Points group to <none> and then sort things so that I'm only seeing certain groups.  There are all sorts of options when you use both groups and layers for point display.

Clipboard02.png

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 6 of 9
wings1080

Just getting to this thread now:

Trogers - thanks very much for making the video, it was way over my head unfortunately

IanMcClain - I tried to follow your summary just now and ran through the process, the part where you say " then you place points on whatever layer you want" - I'm not sure when/where I do that in the process, can you please elaborate a bit?  I feel like I'm almost grasping this

sboon - thanks so much for your explanation, I can tell by the visual that you are doing exactly what I'm trying to achieve, if you'd be willing to take the time to elaborate on the part "I use a Description Key that assigns a style, label style and layer to all points that match our coding system." I might have a chance of understanding this, otherwise also way over my head

apologies to all for my cluelessness, we just bought this software, I have been a long time AutoCAD user but I am having me head handed to me daily with this program ... I am trying to learn it by reading the tutorials etc.. but it's not working, yet

Message 7 of 9
IanMcClain

As long as your point style (and point label style) is set to 0 (under display tab for point style and general tab for point label style) the point will inherit the properties of the layer it is placed on. So for your case make the necessary style(s) then set your current layer to be the one you want your points on and import your points. After that change the current layer to what you want your next set of points to be on and import those. After the points are imported you can select them and move them to other layers as you need.

Ian McClain
Message 8 of 9
sboon

IanMcClain - I tried to follow your summary just now and ran through the process, the part where you say " then you place points on whatever layer you want" - I'm not sure when/where I do that in the process, can you please elaborate a bit?  I feel like I'm almost grasping this

"I use a Description Key that assigns a style, label style and layer to all points that match our coding system." I might have a chance of understanding this, otherwise also way over my head

I am trying to learn it by reading the tutorials etc.. but it's not working, yet

Point objects in Civil3d (actually all objects in Civil 3d) operate similarly to blocks.  It looks like Ian has answered already but I'd suggest that you make a copy of an existing point style, assign that style to some of the points in your drawing then edit the style, particularly the Display tab to see what happens.

Civil 3d points have two descriptions, Raw and Full.  When you create or edit a point you change the Raw Description.  The software can process the points through the Desc Key, which acts like a filter looking for matching descriptions.  If it finds a match then it can assign a point style, label style, and a Full description to that point.  It can also control the layer, symbol rotation, and symbol scale.  Check this tutorial for more help.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 9 of 9
wings1080
in reply to: IanMcClain

hey all, i am finally getting time to revisit this topic, i have reread it numerous times and still am having a hard time understanding the various approaches offered, I think I almost have IanMcClain's method understood so without further ado

IanMcClain - could you please elaborate from your comment:

"As long as your point style (and point label style) is set to 0 (under display tab for point style and general tab for point label style) the point will inherit the properties of the layer it is placed on. So for your case make the necessary style(s) then set your current layer to be the one you want your points on and import your points. After that change the current layer to what you want your next set of points to be on and import those. After the points are imported you can select them and move them to other layers as you need."

the phrase " So for your case make the necessary style(s)" - can you explain this part in a little more detail and how to do it PLEASE?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report