Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Point Expression setup

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
rwatson654
450 Views, 2 Replies

Point Expression setup

can an expression be setup that takes user defined input? I would like to setup a point style that takes the point elevation and subtracts a number defined by the user which is unique to the point. our crews shoot the tops of sewer structures, then dip them for the elevation.  we can do a simple calculation to get the invert but I was hoping the depth could be entered into the point label style and have the calculation done by C3D instead.

Civil 3D, 2009 & 2011

Win 7 Enterprise 64bit

8 GB

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Sinc
in reply to: rwatson654

You can create a User Defined Property for "Depth", and use an Expression to subtract the Depth from your Point Elevation to get the invert.  Then you could manually set the Depth for each point, and everything else will be automatic.

And if you have something like a CSV file containing all your points with depths for each point, then you could create a custom Point File Format that would import the points & depths all at once, eliminating the need to set the Depth for each point manually.

Sinc
Message 3 of 3
rwatson654
in reply to: Sinc

thx, that worked. took just a few minutes reading up on how to do this but I got it.

We don't have a file with the point depths or I would have tried to setup something as you described.  The crew manually enters the depth on a field book sketch.  Typically an individual is sent to the field just to dip the sewer structures after the crew has shot the site.

Civil 3D, 2009 & 2011

Win 7 Enterprise 64bit

8 GB

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report