Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Point Blocks and Description Keys

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
jsauler
5988 Views, 12 Replies

Point Blocks and Description Keys

I am trying to set up our templete and I am having issues.  I have set up description keys and such. When I import our survey data all comes in (ie blocks and linework). The problem is when I try to plot the block that are inserted on what appears to be the correct layer they do not plot out.  When I freeze the point layer the block disappears as well. What setting am I missing that will create the blocks according to the description key and keep them on a separate layer like it did in Land Desktop but keep them dynamic? I am not sure if the subscription service covers this but any information will be helpful.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Cadguru42
in reply to: jsauler

I'm not sure what you mean by "point blocks".  Civil 3D has a Cogo Point object with a point style and a label style.  Are you talking about the point style?  If your point is not plotting, then look in the description keys to see what point style is being assigned to the point code.  Is that point style setting the layer?  Check if that layer is on.

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 3 of 13
MarkPendergraft
in reply to: Cadguru42

Unfotunately, points don't work the same way as they do in LDD.  You can assign point styles that use blocks as markers, but you can't bring in actual blocks using description keys.  With Civil 3D, you really need to think about your workflow and how you want things to look, act, etc.  Which is a lot to ask when you are just getting into the program.

-Mark

Message 4 of 13
IanMcClain

The point and block are one and the same in C3D. In Land Desktop you had a point marker and seperate block, but no more. You might have a style or styles thare are forcing objects to a non-plot layer.

I had similar difficulties when switching from Land Desktop to C3D. There are probably several was to do this, but I would recommend the following:

1. Make sure your symbol blocks in your template drawing are all defined on layer 0 with color, line weight, etc. all by layer.

2. Setup the Point styles to display on layer 0.

3. Setup the description key to place points on the layers you want them to display on.

Now, all your points will be on different layers, but it's more of a what you see is what you get. If you have Point Label styles defined on layer 0 as well they will be on the same layer as the point, or you can force those to specific layers in the style definition. I leave all my Point styles and Point Label styles on 0 so when I click a point or its text to turn it off or freeze it, I turn off that point's layer and not something else.

Hope that helps.

Ian McClain
Message 5 of 13
perry
in reply to: IanMcClain

One problem I see with defining all the point and label styles to layer 0 is that if you need to export the drawing to send to someone, all the symbols would revert to layer 0 if they explode further.  By defining the points/labels styles to the true layer you shouldn't get that happening.  Or am I incorrect

I know about object enablers and such, but sometimes others just want to explode the drawing to render it down to basic components.

Message 6 of 13
IanMcClain
in reply to: perry

It is true that once the block is exploded it will revert to layer 0. However, using layer 0 allows you to use the same block for more than one purose, and using blocks with style based layer assignments can get confusing. It only needs to be

I've exploded styles down to blocks, and they go to the layer assigned by the style, but I haven't needed to xploded the blocks before.

Ian McClain
Message 7 of 13
perry
in reply to: IanMcClain

While it'd be great to go the layer 0 route, we have clients where we have to convert our drawings to MicroStation for the end product.  They insist on two insane things - NOTHING on layer 0 - and we can ONLY use 63 layers (a hold over from older versions of uStn).  Extremely frustrating given the number of layers Civil 3D needs.  Yup - a goverment body.  When exploding out to get to that 63 layer cap, its far easier to shift exploded blocks over when they are not all on layer 0.

Message 8 of 13
jmayo-EE

If you use the Export to Dwg commands (see attached) to dumbnify the C3D file the points and labels will wid up on the layer assigned by the description key.

I use and reccommend Ians's solution. All blocks, point styles and label stlyes defined on layer 0 (blocks have color byblock). Layer assigned in desc keys. You can use a different layer for the labels if you need. We use point groups and overrides to turn text on/off or raw/full desc.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 9 of 13
perry
in reply to: jmayo-EE

Yes, if you use export to dwg it converts the point object to a block on the correct layer, but explode that block and now the items are on layer 0 - which we are not allowed to use. Its that extra explode that create the problems.

Message 10 of 13
Cadguru42

I'm with perry on this one. We use the description key and style based layers. Putting everything on 0 causes a lot of headaches for us. It's much easier to turn labels and point symbols off by freezing layers than other methods. It's also much easier to explode and send to others who aren't using C3D. It also helps with layouts when turning on and off certains layers. 

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 11 of 13
jmayo-EE

"Yes, if you use export to dwg it converts the point object to a block on the correct layer, but explode that block and now the items are on layer 0"

That's true but I have never had a need to explode the block a second time. That would just bloat the file with lines, arc and hatches that make up those blocks.

Instead of using Explode, try using Burst. Everything will stay on the correct layer.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 12 of 13
perry
in reply to: jmayo-EE

Go figure - all these years of cad'ing and I never came across that command.  Hidden in Express Tools.

BURST works exactly the way I'd like, and pretty much flips my agrument about using layer 0.  Once you burst a couple times, everything sits on the correct layer as defined in the description key.  You no longer have to put create your blocks on a specific layer.  Cool.

THANKS!!!

Message 13 of 13
jmayo-EE

No problem. HTH.

John Mayo

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report