Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plotting drawings that contain Background Masking

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
jo_cad
479 Views, 11 Replies

Plotting drawings that contain Background Masking

We just upgraded to Autocad Civil 3D 2010. We are having an issue with the way text background masks are displayed after plotting. I don't think this problem is specific to 2010. The issue that we have seen is that the masked text looks fine in model/paper space but does not show up masked after plotting.

Any suggestions are greatly apprectiated. Edited by: jo_cad on May 3, 2010 8:11 PM
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
dperde
in reply to: jo_cad

If you have a single line text, convert it in mtext and then, in its properties, choose to show background masking. If you just apply a masking to a single line text, with the express tool, the masking can go behind the other layers and not show up. You see it in preview, but when it plots it can be plotted first, so the other objects are in top of it. I found this the hard way, I plotted about 3 sets of plans until I figure it out.
Message 3 of 12
jo_cad

Thank you for that helpful input. I was not aware of that and it will come in handy. The issue i'm having however is with mtext entities.
I have mtext entities that i choose background masking through the properties feature (not express). When i do a print preview, the masking shows up as a block where i cannot see the text. When i plot it, the text shows up but the mask does not block the underlying layers.
Have you seen that?
Message 4 of 12
dperde

What color did you choose for the background? You should choose "drawing background color". And also, is your text in model space or paper space? If it's in paper space, check in the plot window if you have checked the box saying "plot paperspace last".
Message 5 of 12
KansasCAD

Could be the plotter that you are plotting or printing to. We have an older Xerox that will not plot text masking but all of the other printers do fine. Does it do this on all printers?

Daryl
Message 6 of 12
omc-usnr

You might be having a problem with DRAWORDER. Try bringing the mtext entity to the Front.

Reid
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous

Also look into at your pen settings to make sure you have overwrite and not merge.
Message 8 of 12
jo_cad

Thansk for the help. It looks like it was a printer driver update that was needed.
Message 9 of 12
jo_cad

Thansk for the help. It looks like it was a printer driver update that was needed.
Message 10 of 12
jo_cad

Thansk for the help. It looks like it was a printer settings update that was needed.
Message 11 of 12
paulhoman

I have the same problem.  The text is masked on the screen but not on the plot from our HP1055CM.  (See attached screen captures.)  Another strange thing is that the masking works when plotted to our HP5550 Laser Printer.  Yes, changing the Merge Control to "lines overwrite" in the Plotter Configuration Editor solves the problem, but it creates a new problem.  Since we use a lot of solid hatching, we have to make sure it is all "moved to back".  But with the lines overwrite setting, we don't get the "look" we want when lines pass through the hatching.  Perhaps i'm just being too picky.....

I'm wondering if it could be a driver issue.  Attached is a screen capture of the driver we're using.

Advice anybody?

Message 12 of 12
Sinc
in reply to: paulhoman

Sounds like this issue again, which still has not been addressed by Autodesk.

Sinc

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report