AutoCAD Civil 3D General

toines
Message 1 of 7 (343 Views)
Accepted Solution

Plotting and Annotative text

343 Views, 6 Replies
02-14-2013 02:25 PM

I worked with civil 3d at my old job and we had always set our plot scale 1"=1' and then in the viewport set the standard scale to be the scale of our drawing.  Now at my new job we are moving from land desktop to civil 3d and my boss wants to use the plot scale to be the same as the drawing scale and the standard scale be 1:1.  when I do this all my civil 3d objects are too small to be legible.  I have tried setting the annotation scale to be the drawing scale and the standard scale to be 1:1 but as soon as you switch viewports or regen the text objects shrink back down.

thank you

Tom O. 

Aberdeen, SD

Valued Mentor
IanMcClain
Message 2 of 7 (332 Views)

Re: Plotting and Annotative text

02-14-2013 02:57 PM in reply to: toines

Try setting the following:

PSLTSCALE=1

MSLTSCALE=1

Then you should be able to change your annotation scale in model space to whaterver suits your task while your viewports will retain their scales.

-Ian McClain
(running C3D 2012 sp4, Win7 64bit, 8GB)
toines
Message 3 of 7 (326 Views)

02-14-2013 03:27 PM in reply to: IanMcClain
I tried that and I am not having much luck the text still appears like the screen shot below when I have the plot scale of 1"=40 [screen shot 1.jpg] I can have it display the way I want it when I set the plot scale to 1"=1 [screen shot 2.jpg] My boss still wants to be able to dimension in paper space so I do not know if I am setting it up wrong or that we should change to do our text and dimensioning in model space. Thank you Tom O.
Valued Mentor
IanMcClain
Message 4 of 7 (321 Views)

02-14-2013 03:36 PM in reply to: toines

The pictures did not show up.

What kind of objects are you dealing with?

-Ian McClain
toines
Message 5 of 7 (319 Views)

02-14-2013 03:45 PM in reply to: IanMcClain
The objects are just the alignments, profiles, surfaces, etc. and there associated labels and text. Is it common to plot at your drawing scale or is it more common to plot 1"=1' and scale your viewports.
Valued Mentor
IanMcClain
Message 6 of 7 (311 Views)

02-14-2013 04:16 PM in reply to: toines

I don't know what is more common, but I personally keep paper space at 1 to 1 and set scales in my viewports.

I'm not sure what you are doing, but viewing obects at 1"=1' will always be tiny in model space. I change my model space scale to whatever is conveinent to my current task or match it to the scale of my main viewport (1"=20', 30', 40' etc.)

If it is only annotative text that is giving you isues, set ANNOAUTOSCALE = 4, change to the scale you need, or to 1:1 and then back. This will add the scale to those annotative objects.

-Ian McClain
*Expert Elite*
mathewk
Message 7 of 7 (304 Views)

02-14-2013 04:45 PM in reply to: toines
Plotting in paper space with any scale other than 1 is WRONG and old school. Not to mention that Civil 3D doesn't work like that. Tell your boss that he can't use Civil 3D AND be able to change the plot scale in paper space to whatever the drawing scale will be.

The correct way is to set up paper space so it plots at a scale of 1, make viewpoerts and set their scales properly, the way your boss is doing it is setting the viewports to a scake of 1 and using the plot scale to make it plot correctly. Civil 3D can't be made to deal with this, period.
Matt Kolberg
Cansel - Autodesk Division
http://www.cansel.ca/

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Civil 3D Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for AutoCAD Civil 3D helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Civil 3D

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs