Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodeskā€™s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Plotting PDFS created in Civil 3D

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
elaine3051
776 Views, 12 Replies

Plotting PDFS created in Civil 3D

We plot final Drawings on Vellum for the Engineers to stamp and sign. This gives us the record copy for the office. We then create PDF's with an electronic engineers stamp, scanned signature and date and plot the same final drawings to a PDF file. We save these in our contract documents and want to be able to print from these PDFS. The PDFS preview correctly but when printing from Adobe the plots have 1" cut off at the top and bottom. When trying to correct this the Adobe software shows the 1" top and bottom to be trimmed but it is not editable. We plot to HP designjet 1055 cm Plus. Does anyone have suggestions on how to troubleshoot this issue? Driver? Adobe? Plotter settings? We have Adobe Professional and it also has the same issue of previewing correctly but when the PDF is sent from the Adobe software to the plotter it also is cutiing off the top and bottom of the prints. Thanks

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
owenmull
in reply to: elaine3051

I have found, and I dont know if this is the case for you, but this is for me. I had a similar issue where, in C3D, plot preview (using the DWG to PDF.pc3) the plot would preview correctly, but when physically plotted would trim the margins. What I found to be the culprit was the paper type in the listbox in the plot settings. It was set by default to ANSI expand B (11.00 x 17.00). Upon changing this to ANSI full bleed B (17.00 x 11.00) I was able to obtain a desired plot result.

A similar approach worked for plotting to 22.00 x 34.00 and 24.00 x 36.00 as well.

-Owen
Windows 7 x 64 bit

Civil 3D 2017

This is becoming more of a problem.  I am assuming you are using Windows 7.  Your plotter does not have a driver for Windows 7.

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager
Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 4 of 13
elaine3051
in reply to: ToddRogers-WPM

LOL Todd. Are you asking me, or telling me my plotter doesn't have a driver for Windows 7? Are you saying there isn't one available? I am going to try the "full-bleed" suggestion. I hate plotters and trying to make them behave. I can't get past the opinion that if it previews right, then by golly it oughta print right. I'll let ya'll know if the full bleed solves the problem. Thanks!

Message 5 of 13
ToddRogers-WPM

I have several customers who have been holding on the 1000 series HP plotter for years and now they are having to buy new ones.  The wonderful 1050 and 1055's were some of the best ever.  Unfortunately, they have not developed a driver that works with Windows 7.  We have tried a thousand different workarounds and to no avail, still doesn't work. 

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager

Message 6 of 13
rkmcswain

@elaine3051 wrote:

We plot final Drawings on Vellum for the Engineers to stamp and sign. This gives us the record copy for the office. We then create PDF's with an electronic engineers stamp, scanned signature and date and plot the same final drawings to a PDF file. We save these in our contract documents and want to be able to print from these PDFS. The PDFS preview correctly but when printing from Adobe the plots have 1" cut off at the top and bottom. When trying to correct this the Adobe software shows the 1" top and bottom to be trimmed but it is not editable. We plot to HP designjet 1055 cm Plus. Does anyone have suggestions on how to troubleshoot this issue? Driver? Adobe? Plotter settings? We have Adobe Professional and it also has the same issue of previewing correctly but when the PDF is sent from the Adobe software to the plotter it also is cutiing off the top and bottom of the prints. Thanks

elaine3051,

If I read that correctly, you are plotting a PDF from Adobe Reader and/or Acrobat Professional to the 1055? So this problem has nothing to do with Civil3D/AutoCAD, right?

As Todd pointed out, HP does not offer a Win7 driver for the 1055, so what driver is your machine using?

Message 7 of 13
wfberry

Todd:

I have had no problems with Windows 7 and my HP 1050c plotter.  Now the problem that I may have is remembering exactly which driver I am using.  I think it is the x64 bit driver for Vista.  I will post a screen shot.

Bill

Message 8 of 13
ToddRogers-WPM
in reply to: wfberry

Please do because I have numerous customers that are having issues with the drawing not centering correctly.  Thanks in advance.

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager

Message 9 of 13
elaine3051
in reply to: rkmcswain

As to your question that the problem has nothing to do with Civil 3D I guess thats something I can't answer. Could it be an issue with Dwg to PDF Bonus Pack? Just because it previews correctly does not mean it plots correctly.I suspect the problem is on the Adobe end but I don't write software. Actually I'm not that smart, just smart enough to not beat my head against a wall.  I certainly would think that Autodesk realizes that many of us use PDF files, and with the cost of software we all can't pitch our plotters every year when they issue a new version of Civil 3D. I would think Autodesk and Adobe would see the benefit of working together to make their software even more appealing to users.

I have tried several work arounds that have been suggested.They all work, except the sheet is plotting 23x34 instead of 22x34. I do have access to an OCE and can copy all my files to a thumb drive, go upstairs and print my PDFs correctly. Time is money, and for two or three plots it is a pain.This is confusing because the same PDF to the 1055 has missing borders but printed from the OCE is correct. I hate utilizing workarounds for every flipping thing. I just want some things to be reliable and straight forward.

Our 1055 driver is HP DesignJet 1055CM by HP

When opening a PDF there is a Page Setup button in Adobe. That page setup shows margins set for 1" top and bottom. Evidently Adobe thought being able to change margins would be useful, but you cannot change the numbers. Guess thats why this is so frustrating. I can see how to fix it, I just can't. Good Lord, now I'm whining. Thanks for trying to help. If anyone has any suggestions I will gladly be the BETA tester.

Message 10 of 13
ToddRogers-WPM

One thing you could probably try is a free DWG to PDF install of CutePDF.  I use this and it is recommended by Autodesk.  Here is the link to my blog where it will explain it and have a link to download.  To download it, click on the image....

http://totalcad.wordpress.com/2010/11/18/dwg-to-pdf/

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager

Message 11 of 13
elaine3051

Thanks for the new suggestions. it will be this weekend and I will come back in here when there are no engineers to bother me and see if anything works.. We are using 64 bit. I know it's probably a dumb question but to use the Vista driver don't you have to be using Vista Op system?

Message 12 of 13
owenmull

I know Autodesk and Adobe had a huge mud-slinging contest a couple years back, and I do believe that is what led Autodesk developing their own format (the .dxf). They've since mended fences and are playing nice. We will see how long that lasts. šŸ™‚

I use a Canon ipf710 plotter, and I cant say Im disappointed with it. 

Try the CutePDF, but Im not sure that will do it either.

-Owen
Windows 7 x 64 bit

Civil 3D 2017

@elaine3051 wrote:

Thanks for the new suggestions. it will be this weekend and I will come back in here when there are no engineers to bother me and see if anything works.. We are using 64 bit. I know it's probably a dumb question but to use the Vista driver don't you have to be using Vista Op system?

No. Vista drivers work fine on Windows 7 (for the most part). Think of it like this: Windows 7 is just like Vista, except Windows 7 actually works.

-Owen
Windows 7 x 64 bit

Civil 3D 2017

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report