Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help me figure out how to use this Hotfix...

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
csevers
479 Views, 7 Replies

Please help me figure out how to use this Hotfix...

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/sites/default/files/file_downloads/AutoCAD_2013-2014_DGN_Hotfix_Readme...

I think I had IT (I don't have admin right on my machine) follow the installation steps 1-5 correctly. However, I can't follow the execute steps 1-8. Someone in another forum told me that the hotfix is automatically applied and you don't need to execute it, which is confusing because that's not what I understand the readme to say.

Anyway, if I cannot run the execution steps 1-8, does that mean the installation/hotfix has not taken effect?  

Chris Severs, PE
Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 64 bit
64.0 GB RAM
Intel Xeon E5-2650 v3 @ 2.30GHz
NVIDA Quadro M4000
Civil 3D 2014
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
AllenJessup
in reply to: csevers

You may also need Admin rights to execute steps 1-8 since you're working with a DLL file. The OS may block non-Admin from working with the files. I can't say for sure since I had IT make all the CAD users Admins years ago.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 8
csevers
in reply to: AllenJessup

I can load the .dll

When I run dgnpurge I get the attached warning message. When I hit continue, I'm not sure if it works or not. 

Chris Severs, PE
64.0 GB RAM
NVIDA Quadro M4000
Civil 3D 2014
Message 4 of 8
AllenJessup

@csevers wrote:

I'm not sure if it works or not. 

Does it reduce the file size?

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 8
csevers

No, but it's a really big file, with a lot of C3D entities, so I'm not really sure what to expect.

Chris Severs, PE
64.0 GB RAM
NVIDA Quadro M4000
Civil 3D 2014
Message 6 of 8
AllenJessup

The readme said it was to reduce bloat cause by unused data in DGN files. If the file size isn't reduced. I wouldn't think it's working.

My only suggestions at this point is t first have your IT download and install the hotfix again and go through the reset of the steps with you. If that doesn't work. You'll have to turn to Autodesk support (unless someone else on the group comes up with a solution).

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 7 of 8
csevers

I put in a request to IT to actually go through the execution of the file this time. If it works differently with admin rights I will update.

Chris Severs, PE
64.0 GB RAM
NVIDA Quadro M4000
Civil 3D 2014
Message 8 of 8
wkiernan

I have installed the dgn hotfix in Civil 3D 2012, and it does solve the problem where a copy-n-paste of two entities (a LINE and an LWPOLYLINE with four vertices) results in a 25 MB file.  However, when I attempt to use DGNPURGE, Task Manager goes to 25% usage and AutoCAD locks up for at least a half hour.  I'm going to leave this terrible thing running overnight and see if it ever finishes. It is amazing to me how vastly better AutoCAD 2004 was than this version.  Soon I will have to start using AutoCAD 2014, because one of my company's major clients requires it.  I'm not looking forward to it; my guess is that it will be worse yet.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report