Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please Help: C3D 2010 Grading is Glitchey?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
ma702tt
265 Views, 6 Replies

Please Help: C3D 2010 Grading is Glitchey?

Experts,

I am using 2010 still but just found out I have the ability to update to 2011 only and am wondering if it is worth it or not?

The main issue I am having is Grading seems very glitchy.  Does anyone know if this is indeed a problem with 2010 or am I just a poor operator.  It seems to constantly generate errors found with Audit and crashes with what seems very simple operations.

Should I upgrade to 2011?  Is there anything to be done to avoid the Grading issues.

Thanks so much. 

Matt

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Neilw_05
in reply to: ma702tt

A search on the topic will tell you that some say it's better and some say it's not. This applies in versions all the way up to 2013.

FWIW, it still corrupts too easily for me to say it's reliable and performance is still an issue.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 3 of 7
ma702tt
in reply to: Neilw_05

Thanks Neil.  It seems like there are certian things that make it crash though it is hard to figure out the common denominator between them. 

Message 4 of 7
Neilw_05

I don't know if you can pin it on any one action or function since the issues vary. I believe part of it is caused by the Site topology interactions, part is the cleanup alogorythms when gradings intersect, part is the amount of resources used and more.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 5 of 7
ToddRogers-WPM

2011?  Are you aware that 2014 is about to come out?

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager
Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 6 of 7
neilyj666

They seem to behave better if Automatic Surface Creation isn't invoked - some people advocate exploding gradings as well.

I've never tried interacting gradings in the same site as this just cries out disaster to me based on experience with gradings.

I'd say that gradings, while great when they work, are still a weak link in Civil 3D and casue most of my crashing problems.

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 7 of 7
ma702tt
in reply to: ToddRogers-WPM

thanks, I meant that I could upgrade to 2011 under my current agreement without paying additional $'s.

Thanks,

Matt

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report