Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plan Production issue - Pt 1, alignment changes

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
deltacoolguy
702 Views, 5 Replies

I'm new to the plan production process.  Historically, I've always done it "old school", meaning that I would plan out and create named views, viewports, mviews, etc., all manually.  Some might say it was tedious, but it worked, was simple, and stayed in place.  So, here I am trying plan production in an effort to ***save time***.  I have had several problems, and am sure that some of them are due to my newness in the process.

Anyway, I have an alignment that covers 8 sheets and have made 8 plan & profile sheets.  Got it all set up, and the project manager changed the alignment.  The profiles updated just fine, but this caused all my plan views to no longer match the plan views, match lines, profiles, etc.

How do I get the plan views on the layouts to match again?  If I understand correctly I cannot simply run "Create Frame Views" again and have it link to the already created sheets/layouts.  In the old days I would just adjust my named view, go into the layer vport, and pop it back into place.  I also don't want to run "Create Sheets" again because the profiles are fine, and have a good deal of additional non-dynamic stuff on them now.

I've tried digging into the styles and set-ups for plan views, match lines, etc., but this is some of the most complex and cryptic stuff I have ever seen in Autocad.

Thanks.

Windows 10-64 Pro
8GB RAM (Home)
12GB RAM (Work)
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2019
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: deltacoolguy

You are not going to like this answer.
The developers of the pp tools are assuming that your design is complete and ready for delivery. I paraphrase but that was the answer I got from a SR.
Where as, we are accustomed to setting up the plan sheets up front and then designing, the pp folks anticipated you going through your design and making sheets at the back end of the project.
To my knowledge, you have to re run the sheets for new match lines yada yada

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Your Name

EESignature

Message 3 of 6
deltacoolguy
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Thanks, Joe.

You're right.  I don't like the answer, but I accept it as imperfect reality.  In my own humble opinion, this is an area where the program needs a little refinement and flexibility.

Windows 10-64 Pro
8GB RAM (Home)
12GB RAM (Work)
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2019
Message 4 of 6
sfore
in reply to: deltacoolguy

I've struggled with the PP Tools as well, but I've found they do save time especially on large jobs.  We do a lot of Sanitary and Water projects.  PP Tools have saved my rear, but have also been a pain in the rear.  I only use them on certain projects where I have long runs of pipe.

I never use my Sanitary or Water alignment to layout out my sheets.  I create a separate "sheet" alignment that positions my sanitary alignment in the middle of my sheets to allot for changes.  If changes are significant enough to where the sanitary goes off sheet view, then I slide sheet down to capture it and then adjust plan viewport. 

I think a lot of folks may use PP tools only when projects are nearing completion, but I use them at the start of a project to quickly hammer out my sheets, matchlines and viewports to give the engineer something to look at quickly.  If I need to adjust, then I adjust.  If it changes so much that simply sliding a sheet up/down won't suffice, then I adjust my "sheet" alignment and rerun everything.

Message 5 of 6
graf_p
in reply to: sfore

I always have a hard time convincing the engineer it's a waste of time to create plan & profile sheets using the production tools in the preliminary design phase of a project with all the labels looking "just right". And it's better to wait untill the alignment & profile have been throughly looked at and aprroved before generating sheets with all the labels. They what 100% drawings at the 35% design submittal.

PG

Message 6 of 6
deltacoolguy
in reply to: sfore

@sfore wrote:

I never use my Sanitary or Water alignment to layout out my sheets.  I create a separate "sheet" alignment that positions my sanitary alignment in the middle of my sheets to allot for changes.  If changes are significant enough to where the sanitary goes off sheet view, then I slide sheet down to capture it and then adjust plan viewport.

This is brilliant in its simplicity.  I have already "fixed" my current project using my 'old school' method, but I am going to do this on the next project.

Windows 10-64 Pro
8GB RAM (Home)
12GB RAM (Work)
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2019

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report