Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pipe network parts change to a default when data referenced into other drawing.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
4223 Views, 13 Replies

Pipe network parts change to a default when data referenced into other drawing.

When creating my plan set, I need to data reference pipe networks into other drawings than that in which they were designed to show crossings in profile views or to separate out profiles into managable drawings. When I do this, if I have swapped a type-13 inlet for a 10' type R inlet or something during design, the data referenced pipe network will replace the 10' type R with a default inlet. Also if I have swapped a proposed 30" pipe for an existing 30" that have different styles, the data referenced pipe network will revert back to the proposed 30" pipe. Does anyone know how to make a data referenced pipe network reflect what is currently in the design drawing?

Thanks,

Ryan 

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I cannot find a fix.  Anyone else having this problem?

When data reference in my pipenetwork the structures come in as something ther than the part they were specified in the source drawings

Edited by
Discussion_Admin. 

Message 3 of 14
Joe-Bouza

I'd check the data ref editor to confirm you are referencing the correct SD and DREF, then open and SR and get back to us

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 14
klugb

ryanbanning2585 and

wdbar 

I think there are two different issues here.

First one:

If you have a network with Str A using Style A and Pipe A using Style A then DS it out to a new drawing everything comes in fine. Now go back and change the pipe base to Str B using style B and Pipe B using style B.

When you go back to the drawing with the DS network you will have Str B using style A and Pipe B using Style A.

The structures and pipes are updated but they use the styles that were originally assigned. This works great for 99% of Civil 3D data, but it stinks with pipe networks. The only way is to manually change the styles used to match the ones in the pipe base or delete and re-Data shortcut, but that's not feasible if you have already labeled networks.

Ryan, you said you swapped a proposed 30” pipe for a 30” existing one. Are they in the same parts list? That can wreak havoc with DS if one pipe network is using two different parts lists. We use separate parts lists for existing & proposed.

Second:

Wdbar, you are having issues with the structures not matching even the first time you DS the network, right?

I think I know what is going on there. If you send me a dwg with your parts list I can test it. (bruce DOT klug AT clark.wa.gov) We found out that it depends on the way the parts list was created originally might cause this issue. When I setup ours originally I added a rectangular ...... structure and then renamed it to Catch Basin, Type 1. I then added another structure with the same exact size parameters (24x24.....) and even though I renamed it Catch Basin, Type 2 C3D sees them as having the same part ID. This has been confirmed by Autodesk.

Bruce

Bruce Klug, P.E.
AutoCAD Expert Elite Alumni
AutoCAD Civil 3D Certified Professional
Civil 3D 2023.2.1

Win 10 Enterprise, 64-bit
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: klugb

Thanks Bruce. I'm not sure that I am following your terminology though. What do you mean by Str A? Yes, ours are currently in the same parts list because they are part of the same network and we are having to modify both at the same time (ie. We have to break a run of existing pipe to insert a proposed manhole poured in place over the existing pipe. We may have to look at two but that might take some planning to figure out how to make it work.

Any thoughts on why an inlet created as a type-r with a style using a 10' type-r block and proposed layering would revert back to a type-13 combo inlet with that style, block and proposed layering in a sheet drawing that has the pipe network data referenced into it (instead of coming in as the type-r that it was designed to be)? Take a look at the attachment to my previous post. The type-r is xrefed from our base utility drawing that uses "dumb" blocks, but the type-13 combo is from the pipe network data reference that was designed as a type-r in the storm pipe base drawing.

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Joseph, could you clarify what SD, Dref and SR are refering to please?

Message 7 of 14
klugb

I was just being lazy, Structure A.

I think your fine with the existing & proposed in one. The problems I have seen are when we layout a proposed network using the proposed parts list and then someone changes the parts list to existing and adds pipes or structures. When you Datashort cut it into another drawing you can only pick from one parts list at a time.

I would need to have your parts list to test my theory on the switching inlets. I know how to test it and why it does it, but it's hard to explain.

Bruce

Bruce Klug, P.E.
Civil 3D 2023.2.1

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous

Bruce,

"When I setup ours originally I added a rectangular ...... structure and then renamed it to Catch Basin, Type 1. I then added another structure with the same exact size parameters (24x24.....) and even though I renamed it Catch Basin, Type 2 C3D sees them as having the same part ID. This has been confirmed by Autodesk"

What did you do to fix this?

I am having the same issue - they come in wrong when first DS.

Thanks,

Rob

Message 9 of 14
klugb

We now have completely built our own custom parts list starting in parts builder to meet our County standards (see image). This is not for the faint of heart! Depending on your comfort level and $ there are people that you can hire to do it.

Before we did that I brought in each part with slightly different dimensions. I would keep the box the same 24x24, but one would have a different wall thickness or floor thickness. This worked but there is a limit to how many different combinations you can come up with.

Bruce Klug, P.E.
Civil 3D 2023.2.1

Message 10 of 14
Jeff_M

Working on my first big job in quite a while and ran into this issue. Thanks, Bruce, for showing me the way out of this 'wrong style in a DRef" nightmare I was having. I'd recalled seeing the issue before, but all my projects the last few years have had few, if any, of these structures. This job has ~100 and was not looking good to have to make sure each one displayed correctly.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 11 of 14
b-man

Bruce,

We have been fighting this issue for months, and somehow I have just finally stumbled on this post. One quick question, since i have about 100 parts, all of which have pay items, etc. associated. Can you 'retrofit' a parts list by changing part size slightly as you described and have it actually hold the styles when data referenced???

Andrew Martin, P.E., CFM
ESP Associates
Slave to the AutoCAD Civil 3D Machine
Civil 3D 2020
Win 7 Pro SP 1, 64-bit on HP Elitebook 8770w (8GB Ram)

"The only thing worse than training your employees and having them leave is not training them and having them stay" - Henry Ford (a fairly successful businessman)
Message 12 of 14
klugb
in reply to: b-man

I don't think so. There is a unique string that gets assigned when adding the part to the parts list. It's some hidden code/string that identifies that part. Even changing the parameter after will not change this string. Sorry

Bruce Klug, P.E.
Civil 3D 2023.2.1

Message 13 of 14
Jerry_Barnes

For what it's worth, we addressed this problem by data referencing each pipe network into a single, all encompassing pipe utility file. We then Xref that file into every plan production sheet. If any change is made in the original pipe run file (swaps or style changes), we synchronize it with the overall pipe utility file. Then we check the overall file to see how it matched up with the revisions. If anything didn't synchronize correctly, we make the change in the overall file "by hand," so to speak. The overall file--being an Xref--automatically propogates the correct "look" through all the plan sheets.

I know this has the "feel" of a workaround, but it works and is easy to manage, especially with large projects.

Message 14 of 14
sbaucom180

After reading through the comments, I am still having an issue with how the network is displaying after they have been data shortcutted. While creating the data shortcut, I make the network a certain style. Since then, I have updated the network style to something different in the original file. However, the file that shows the data shortcut network still shows it as the original style. Can the style of the data shortcut be changed after the shortcut is created?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report