Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pipe network in multiple segments

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
m177
1426 Views, 6 Replies

Pipe network in multiple segments

Hello.

I'm very new to Civil 3D and I'm confused.

I have been asked to convert a 2D drawing into a 3D drawing that will be used for BIM (and I'm new to that term as well).  So I am creating pipe networks for the existing utilities with x' of existing cover.  

What I am running into is that there are too many segments in the pipes that I'm creating even after weeding.  For instance, I have a pipe that is about 200' in length and have about 15 segments.  That would be fine with me, but is there some way that I can tell Civil 3D to treat it like one long pipe instead of adding null structures to every single segment?  I want to be able to select the pipe and have it select the entire length instead of that single segment.  

Another reason why I want it to be a single segment is because in plan view my linetype doesn't properly show up since the segments are too many and their lengths are too short to show the linetype.  When creating a 2D drawing, a polyline can be set with linetype generation enabled so the linetype is shown in this case.  But what do I do about this in Civil 3D pipe networks?

I appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Mark

Ps.  I found a video that mentioned to create a polyline with the layout that I want, then apply elevations from suface, convert it to a feature line, then covert to a pipe network.  Supposedly, that would "connect" the pipes and structures together.  I tried this technique but it doesn't do what I'm looking for.... I suppose when he says "connect," he may have a different meaning that what I was hoping for.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
mathewkol
in reply to: m177

Sounds like you're making pipes from existing polylines.  If your pline has multiple vertecies, you will have multiple pipes and multiple stuctures.  That's how that tool works.  There is no such thing as a single pipe with multiple vertecies.

[... I want to be able to select the pipe and have it select the entire length instead of that single segment...]

This is not possible.

Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 3 of 7
m177
in reply to: mathewkol

Matt, 

I appreciate your response.  I'm glad to at least know not to waste any more time trying to find a solution.  

Thanks,
Mark 

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

Why not do the feature line and set the increment length to 20 or 40 feet or even 200. The only issue is if you are doing a water or pressure pipe system and you have rolling hills you run the risk if shallow burial to surface (the pipe that is). However if you are climbing on a relatively constant slope or buried deep enough then you could avoid that.
Message 5 of 7
ajita.tapas23
in reply to: mathewkol

Hello,

I am trying to convert polylines into pressure pipes. the only way I know is to convert it one by one. I have a huge pressure network and this method is taking a lot of time. Is there any other way we can convert multiple polylines into pressure pipes at once?

Thank you in advance!

Message 6 of 7
DanielJLPFF

You might get better advise if you had mentioned pressure pipes in the beginning.  C3D has both pipe network or gravity pipes and a separate pressure pipe tool.

Message 7 of 7
Joe-Bouza

Avoid the extra point - Use the plines as a guide and draw pipe network directly

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Your Name

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report