Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pipe network and profile issue

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
civilSD
2437 Views, 7 Replies

Pipe network and profile issue

I am new to Civil3D and working in pipe networks, and at a new firm (have an LDD and architectural [trained in Revit] background).  Typically, we have an existing file which contains all exisitng topo and surface info; a grading file which contains the alignments, profiles, and grading surface; and the design file which contains the design layout and line work.  The files are referenced with data shortcuts or xref as needed.  Users have just been drawing everything in the layout and in profile with linework, labels, etc. so I'm trying to get pipe networks in place here.

What is the best way and file in which to create a pipe network and draw the pipes/structures in profile?  If I draw the pipe network in the design file, I have to create a reference for the network in to the grading file and then draw in profile there because in the design file I am not given the option to "draw in profile".  Is it best just to draw the network in the same file as the profile is created in?  Is there a better way to break up the file structure to ease use by multiple users? 

Any suggestions are welcome - thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
civilSD
in reply to: civilSD

UPDATE: I have discovered that editing is an issue if the layout of the sanitary sewer is done in the design file and the sanitary profile is drawn in the grading file where the existing grade profile was created. I have to switch back and forth to edit in the layout and then update. That said - I'm guessing it's best to have the pipe network layout and profile drawn in the same file???
Message 3 of 8
Jay_B
in reply to: civilSD

We keep the Pipe Networks in separate source drawings here and Data Reference in any alignments, surfaces & profiles that will be associated to the PN into this drawing using Data Shortcuts.

One of the benefits in doing it this way is the ability to have someone working on the Grading etc. while another user is working on the Pipe Networks. On large projects we sometimes split the Pipe Network up by street or utility type depending on how many designers may be working on the project at one time etc.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 4 of 8
castled071049
in reply to: Jay_B

Ditto what Jay_B said. Create pipe alignments, networks, and profiles in a separate drawing file. We use different files for storm networks, for wastewater networks, and for potable water as well. 

Be advised that when you make revisions in your base pipe network file, and you synchronize it to other files that have that pipe network data referenced in them, the revised part (and this is more of a structure problem), will update in the referenced file BUT NOT THE STYLE. In other words, if you swap, say, a manhole for an inlet, the files that have the network referenced in will still show the inlet as the old manhole. The information (including name and description) will update, but the style will continue to look like the original part. 

For this reason, we reference all our pipe networks into a single UTILITY file and Xref that into the plan sheets. If you make a change to the base pipe network file you only have to update that style in the single UTILITY file and it will propogate through the sheet set. 

Message 5 of 8
civilSD
in reply to: castled071049

Thanks guys! I'll give this setup a try. I do have another question: I was told that they have the alignments and profiles in the grading plan here because that's how the profile is created from the EG surface. But - the existing surface is created in the 'existing' base file and data referenced in to the grading plan and then the alignments and profiles are created in the grading file. Can I just create a file for the alignments, networks, and profiles like you suggest? They have just been using street alignments because they haven't used networks here for a project yet. (I plan on changing that.) Thanks again!
Message 6 of 8
Rainman1

I am new to using xref's in C3D. We are running C3D 2014. When I xref a C3D drawing into another drawing (the drawing contains surfaces, alignments, profiles, corridors, piping networks, etc.), all the data is xref'ed in. Is there a way to pick and choose what you want to xref into your drawing from the source drawing? We are concerned with xref'ing piping networks since data shortcuts do not give us what we want. We can data shortcut in the surfaces, alignments and profiles no problem. Data shortcuts for piping networks has all kinds of issues. When xref'ed in, the piping networks are dynamic, which is what we want. I am just not sure of the process for using xref's for our piping networks? Thank you in advance.

Message 7 of 8
Jay_B
in reply to: Rainman1

@Rainman1 wrote:
Is there a way to pick and choose what you want to xref into your drawing from the source drawing?

No there is not, unless the information is in separate drawing files. When you xref, all drawing content is referenced into that dwg.

This is what Data References do very well as with Data References you can have any number of different scenarios in various files without bringing all dwg content along for the ride.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 8 of 8
Rainman1

When you say "data references" do you mean "data shortcuts"? We have drawings that a designer is working on and want to xref the piping networks into a drawing that a draftsperson is working on. However, when we xref the drawing it brings over all the alignments, profiles, surfaces,...everything in the drawing. It is however dynamic, but we would just like to see the piping networks. Is it just a matter of turning off xref layers? Also, can we edit the xref'ed data in the drawing we brought the xref into? Hope this isn't too confusing.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report