Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pipe and structure styles resetting when data shortcut synchronized

47 REPLIES 47
SOLVED
Message 1 of 48
LCFJ60
14173 Views, 47 Replies

Pipe and structure styles resetting when data shortcut synchronized

I've got a drawing that has a data referenced pipe network (C3D2014).  Everytime the pipe network is syncronized the pipes and structures change their styles back to what I can only assume to be their default.  I can not find where to change this style or behavior.  Any help would be appreciated.

47 REPLIES 47
Message 2 of 48
LCFJ60
in reply to: LCFJ60

I just tried to recreate this issue in C3D2013 using the same drawings and it works properly.  By properly I mean that the pipe and structure styles that are assigned in the data referenced drawing are maintained after a synchronization.  This must have something to do with C3D2014 or a bug in my drawings.

Message 3 of 48
4Creeks

I am having the same issue. Anyone have any insight into this problem?

Message 4 of 48
4Creeks
in reply to: 4Creeks

I didn't mention but I am also only experiencing this problem using Civil 3D 2014.

Message 5 of 48
Dathan.neal

We are having the same issue with C3D 2014. Setting up multiple parts lists for every different situation sounds tedious and overkill. Anyone find a better workaround??

Message 6 of 48
Jay_B

Hi,

Is the Pipe Network Source dwg attached as an Xref to the drawings with the Syncronize issues?
Are you referring to Style Overrides being applied in Pipe Networks Tab of Profile View Properties?

Not sure if this will help anyone posting here but we just upgraded from 2012 to 2014 and yesterday I spent a couple hours troubleshooting a Plan/Pfl dwg that had several PN's dref'd and had several Crossing Pipe style overrides being applied within the Profile View Properties PN tab.

The issue was dwgs could be opened, saved exited, opened and all was fine.
But when SYNCHRONIZEREFERENCES was ran the overrides would revert to default pipe styles.

How I ended up solving this was to make sure the Overrides were being set in the <NOT overrriden=""> Style Overrides Column. Applying the Overrides here will check the box. The key was to see the overriden style in the Style Overrides column and the checkbox must be checked. Now the overrides have been working fine even with a forced Sync. 2014SP1 used.
C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 7 of 48
LCFJ60

The pipe network is not an xref, the network is only dref'd into the drawing.

Though I tried to change the over ride style in the profile - pipe's tab, it's not the problem.  The styles are changing in plan view.  Modifying the over ride style did force the profile pipes to not change; however, the plan view style changed back to the style that is defined in the parts list.

I thought that it might have been our template, I have carried this template forward since about 2010.  So I tried a test, two new drawings using the 2014 _AutoCAD Civil 3D (Imperial) NCS template.

First drawing contains two structures and 1 pipe using the standard parts list.

Concentric Structure 48 dia 18 frame 24 cone 5 wall 6 floor - has a style of "Sanitary Sewer Manhole" defined in the parts list.

12 inch Concrete Pipe - has a style of "Double Line (Storm)" defined in the parts list.

Save drawing and create the data shortcut.

Create second drawing using above template, create data reference for the pipe network, change parts to any different style, sychronize the data reference and  BOOM  back to the part style defined in the parts catalog.

Hmmmm.  Autodesk, little help please.

Message 8 of 48
kfoster

We've run into the same problem.  Every time we synchronize a drawing containing drefed pipe networks all our structure styles reset.  We've tried just about every permutation of styles/parts catalog/etc. we could think of to find a workflow that would give consistent results.  Nothing works. 

What bothers us most is that we can set the styles to show structures in plan view as we want them.  They are CORRECT.  Then we either sync the network or change it (forcing a sync) and all the styles change.

At present we've had to abandon using Civil 3D to draw our structures in plan view.  We've shut off visibility of pipes & structures and just use the software for labeling (which works beautifully, by the way).  For visibily we've gone back to drawing pipes with lines and blocks like we used to.

Its a shame.

Civil3D 2014 sp1

W7P 64bit

Message 9 of 48
tgicam
in reply to: kfoster

We were about to roll our C3D2014 but discovered this issue during testing.  It seems that the style reverts to match the style in the dref drawing.  This is NOT ideal.  We like to have our pipe styles in our pipes drawing to be doule line so we can see conflicts and single line in our production drawings.  Hope there is a setting we can change somewhere, otherwise we will keep using C3D 2011.  We haven't done much testing but based on what others are saying we will monitor this group until an acceptable solution is found.

Craig

Civil 3D 2014 SP1

Windows 7 64bit

Message 10 of 48
c_c__

Same issue here using 2014, but it is random among 20+ users.  We are getting no solution from reseller (tech support) or Autodesk. 

Message 11 of 48
Bill_Myron

This has been an issue, or non issue (depends on how you see it) for years. 

What ever style you have set as the default in the parts list, is what the part will display or change to when you synchronize. 

This is hard coded into Civil 3D, not going to change anytime soon. This is done so that you can have a fully dynamic drawing set. Change a part in your D-Ref, and it populates in all your drawings.

We have a parts list that has Design, Future, and Existing parts. Each with their respective styles. A little bit more setup time goes into the design drawing to make sure the correct parts are used, but this is negligible compared to fixing styles in every drawing of our sheet set.

Message 12 of 48
c_c__
in reply to: Bill_Myron

Agreed,  our issue is a lack of syncing in some cases.  Meaning we have to manually sync our DS (profiles, alignments and networks) on some machines on open.  With our pipes they will all come in as one structure type via a DS (water bends become values on all structures and need to be manually changed in the construction document file) or a 15' type 'r' inlet will become a headwall after syncing while the source drawing is a 15' type 'r'. 

Message 13 of 48
LCFJ60

This is not the case for me.  Civil 3D 2013 does not exhibit this behavior, only 2014.

In C3D 2013, if you set/change the style for a pipe that is a referenced into the drawing,  when you sync the pipe network it DOES NOT reset to the pipe style that is defined in the parts list.

Message 14 of 48
sirjoelsph

Bumping this to see if anyone has any other ideas on how to fix this.  I've confirmed it in my company templates as well in C3D 2014.  The only way around it I've found is to change the default style in the parts list, but that doesn't even seem to be working for all parts (and is a pain).

-JOEL
Message 15 of 48
sirjoelsph
in reply to: sirjoelsph

I've done some more testing on this issue and at least have a workaround that works for me.  I'd like to see if this works for others as well.

When the 'data shortcut definitions may have changed' pops up, don't click on the syncronize button.  Instead save, close, and re-open the file.  This kept the styles the same for me but still updated the changes made to the pipes and structures themselves.

I hope this works for others too.

-JOEL
Message 16 of 48
Dathan.neal

Yes, that works for us as well.  However, most of us are just so quick to hit the sycronize button when it pops up, that this isn't the best work around, for us at least.

For existing drawings that already have the data shortuct referenced, we are attempting to do this. I'm not very confident that we will be able to resist hitting the button when it pops up though. For new references, we are using the object layer settings as a work around.

Message 17 of 48
LCFJ60

This "work around" worked for me also, though it's not ideal.

Autodesk needs to get this resolved in a hurry, opening and closing drawings is not good work flow.

WE NEED A HOT FIX AUTODESK!!

Message 18 of 48
C3D_TomR

I think I have a partial workaround for this issue. I created a different definition of the default style for each type of pipe/structure. For example, the existing wastewater pipe style in my existing utility base drawing shows everything on a plotting layer and shows pipe walls in profile view. The definition of the same style name in my proposed wastewater base drawing shows the plan view linework in no-plot layers and the profile linework as a crossing style. This way I never have to override any pipe styles in profile view unless I want to show them as "parallel and crossing" such as a water line that runs parallel with a wastewater line. For that I would have to override the style in the profile view.

For testing purposes, I just opened a 2014 drawing with pipes and profile views. I set the override style in a profile view for a crossing pipe to use the parallel with hatch style. I then closed the drawing and opened it again to view the results. The pipe with the override style in profile view is still using the parallel with hatch style as expected.

As for bends/wyes, I created a copy of another structure style and assigned styles based on how I wanted them to look in plan view.

Hopefully this workflow might work for others too.

Tom Richardson

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature
Autodesk Certified Professional in Civil 3D for Infrastructure Design
AutoCAD Certified Professional
------------------------------------
Autodesk AEC Community Blog
Crossing the line with Civil 3D
Twitter | LinkedIn
------------------------------------
Austin CAD User Group Resources
Blog | Discord | LinkedIn

Autodesk Group Network Leader

Message 19 of 48
C3D-Nash

If I recall correctly, I seam to remember this issue first coming about in C3D 2012 - SP 2.0 and was fixed in SP 2.1.  2013 did not exhibit this issue.  I've just done a major overhaul to the company standard template for 2014, which thankfully works just fine in 2013 as well.  I didn't notice this issue during testing, but I was using networks that were created and still saved in 2013.  I'll report my findings once I've had more time to look into it.  If the problem is there, hopefully a SP can fix it like I recall fixing in 2012.

Message 20 of 48
peuhon

Does anyone know if there is a solution in sight for this issue?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report