Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pipe and structure styles resetting when data shortcut synchronized

47 REPLIES 47
SOLVED
Message 1 of 48
LCFJ60
14015 Views, 47 Replies

Pipe and structure styles resetting when data shortcut synchronized

I've got a drawing that has a data referenced pipe network (C3D2014).  Everytime the pipe network is syncronized the pipes and structures change their styles back to what I can only assume to be their default.  I can not find where to change this style or behavior.  Any help would be appreciated.

47 REPLIES 47
Message 21 of 48
LCFJ60
in reply to: peuhon

I am not aware of a good solution yet. There are some work a round's, but no solution. I've reverted back to 2013 for sheets for now. It's a good thing that 2013 and 2014 dwg's are binary compatible.

What's the procedure to get Autodesk to look into this issue?

Message 22 of 48
c_c__
in reply to: LCFJ60

"What's the procedure to get Autodesk to look into this issue?"

Buy the next version and hope its fixed, otherwise they are useless.  They keep the carrot in front of use....

Message 23 of 48
craigswearingen

Our Sanitary Dept. just came across this issue again today.

Has Autodesk found a solution to this issue yet?

We are also using Civil 3D 2014.

"There's always room."

Windows 10 Professional
64-Bit Intel Xeon W-2125 @ 4.00GHz
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2018.3
Message 24 of 48
kcobabe
in reply to: craigswearingen

We had this issue at my company and being nicknamed the sudo C3D guru I was tasked in finding a solution.  Which I have.

The only way to fix this is you HAVE to have the part catalog from the data referenced file in the drawing you are synchronizing.  All styles and network layers need to be setup the same way as their original drawing.

Since my company handles a lot of different projects we only data reference to get the other networks in for crossing views in the profile.  This means everything goes to our non plot layer and in the style we have it set to the correct layer.

Hope this helps.

Oh and the problem is in the coding which hopefully will be fixed in 2015.

R10 - 2020 ACAD
2008 - 2020 Civil 3D
2014 - 2020 Plant 3D
2014 - 2020 Revit
V8i - V8i SS4 Microstation
Infraworks
2018-2020 Inventor
2020 Navisworks
Message 25 of 48
kcharette

We had the same problem in C3D 2014, our sheet file that data referenced our pipe network structures would revert back to the original style when it was first data referenced after it synchronized.

We just tried it in Civil 3D 2015 beta and it holds the style that is set in the utility base file, doesn't revert back to the style when the data reference occurred in the sheet file after synchronizing.  So Civil 3D 2015 fixes this problem.

Interesting note that the SP1 for C3D 2014 says it fixes this issue, but it does not, see below verbage from the SP1 for C3D 2014.:

• Changing a pipe network part in the source file of a data shortcut now updates the part style in the referenced pipe network as expected.

Our Solution Is for now to external reference the utility base file with the pipe network into your sheet file and label through the external reference with the appropriate Civil 3D labels.  Change the external reference utilty base file layer color and linetype to show previous section as existing.

Message 26 of 48
KevinO1975

Has there been any updates on this issue, sometimes we are getting the styles changing when we do the "save and re-open" work around.

Thanks

Message 27 of 48
C3D-Nash
in reply to: KevinO1975

This issue was coordinated with the dev team during the 2015 beta and was fixed; I haven't used the final 2015 release product yet, but I assume it is still fixed.  I also requested / highly recommended that they push this fix and a few others worked out in the 2015 beta into a SP for 2014.  I have not heard anything more since those discussions.

Message 28 of 48
Dathan.neal

It looks like the C3D Service Pack 2 fixes this issue. I haven't installed and tested it yet, but they mention it here under the "Primary Issues Resolved by This Service Pack":

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/sites/default/files/file_downloads/AutoCAD_Civil_3D_2014_SP2_enu.htm

Better, late than never, I guess.

Message 29 of 48
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: sirjoelsph

I can confirm that.

Technaically, that a work-around not a solution 🙂

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 30 of 48
sean.hulbert
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

The problem remains in 2015.  We need a variable like Visretain for xrefs.  PLEASE SOON!

Message 31 of 48
c_c__
in reply to: sean.hulbert

I also can confirm it is still an issue in 2015 and the visretain variable idea is a great a great thought.

Message 32 of 48
Dathan.neal
in reply to: c_c__

Well I finally had a chance to install 2014 SP2 and it fixes half of the problem. The styles do not revert on syncronization, but all pipes and structures revert to the layer that they were brought in on.

A VISRETAIN type variable would be amazing. Oh well. Maybe 2015 SP1.

Message 33 of 48
rkmcswain
in reply to: Dathan.neal

To the best of my knowledge, this is fixed in 2015 SP1

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 34 of 48
LCFJ60
in reply to: rkmcswain

I've not had this problem with C3D 2015 SP1.  I'm not sure if it was fixed with the release of 2014 SP2 or initial release of 2015, but it seems to be working the way I'd expect it too, now.

Message 35 of 48
rkmcswain

Message 36 of 48

i'm running c3d 2015 with sp1 and it still happens. the style changes and the label changes. 

Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-2245 CPU @ 3.90GHz 3.91 GHz
64 GB RAM
C3D 2023.2
Message 37 of 48
LCFJ60
in reply to: nostupidquestions

Is the drawing that it happens in a drawing that was created with 2015, or was it a drawing that was brought forward from a previous release. I actually had it happen again, however it was with a drawing that was created with a previous release. I've not had the issue otherwise.
Message 38 of 48
nostupidquestions

it was created in a previous version, 2010 if i'm not mistaken and it never happened before in that version. i think it has happened recently on a 2015 drawing though.

Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-2245 CPU @ 3.90GHz 3.91 GHz
64 GB RAM
C3D 2023.2
Message 39 of 48
ryanlaughlin

I am using 2015 SP1 and this is happening. Very troubling indeed. Part of the reason we are using pipe networks is to eliminate the need for repetitive drafting. This is adding a significant amount of it right back.

Autodesk should provide a solution to this using a visretain type of variable. Here's why. If I have an alignment with 12 plan and profile sheets, but I set up the plan and profile sheets such that a new drawing was created for every 3 sheets, then I have 4 drawings that are all showing the same network, but I could easily and undesireably have 4 different styles in my plan set. The only sensible solution is have the drawing in which the pipe network data was created control the styling of the pipes and structures. Labels are tricky as well, but they don't seem to change during synchs, so it is easier to manage.

Please fix this Autodesk!!!

Message 40 of 48
rkmcswain
in reply to: ryanlaughlin

FWIW, I don't know if you have seen the "solution" at the top of this thread, but this was a huge time saver (as compared to resetting styles) before we got the fix

I know that you feel you should have the fix, but I'm just pointing out a workaround in case you missed it.
R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report