Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pipe Structure Rim insertion

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
rrawls
1182 Views, 11 Replies

Pipe Structure Rim insertion

I have setup a reference surface for all of my structures and a sump depth of 0. All of the rims are being inserted about 1.6' above my reference surface. I am not able to grip any of the rims and lower them. It will not allow me to do so. Even if I grip the invert and make the structure extremely deep, I still cannot change the rim. I've had this problem in the past but don't recall how to correct or what I've done wrong in the setup. Any thoughts?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: rrawls

This is due to the structure you are using and the clear distance defined for the pipe. If your pipe size/cover is too close to the frame it pops the rim out of the ground to make it work.

Not knowing part builder well enough I have resorted to using  a basis rectangle of cylinder with no frame to avoid this from happening. I assign a block for plan and profile display.

Some day I'll get a grip on PB and get to use it as intended, but for now I cheat.

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 3 of 12
owenmull
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

You can try a different structure type.

Also, you can modify the part in the parts list, and edit its cover conditions to satisfy your conditions.

-Owen
Windows 7 x 64 bit

Civil 3D 2017
in reply to: owenmull

how's that done?

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 5 of 12
force2800

Make sure that the structure dose not have a surface adjsutment value.  Select the the part, right-click menu, sturcture properties.  Then under the Part Properties tab, go to insertion rim behavior and set the surface adjsutment value to 0, auto surf adjust to true so it follows your surface model adjustments.  Unfortuneatly, you'll have for adjust each structure at a time.  hope this helps.

Curtis Hoffart, Drafting Tech

Message 6 of 12
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: force2800

That will not help if the pipe clearance is violated

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 7 of 12
owenmull
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Joseph,

I haven't spent a lot of time with this myself, but I believe that this can be accomplished in part builder.

Command is 'partbuilder', find your pipe, and edit it's rules and parameters in there. Dont forget to save part family.

Hope this is what you are looking for.

-Owen
Windows 7 x 64 bit

Civil 3D 2017

This is turning into a complete nightmare. I can't even swap parts for my storm structures. When I pick a structure it says it is filtered out and won't allow me to use the swap feature. I was always able to swap parts and revise rims in Civil 3D 2011 but not now. Any thoughts on how I can access the swap parts command?

Message 9 of 12
emelendez

Sounds like you need to do a recover and then a purge of the file.

If that does not work, you may need to recreate the file that your pipe network is in. If you have a stand alone file for your pipe network (which is what autodesk recommends) you will need to take several steps to "recreate" your pipe network (PN) drawing. One method is outlined as follows:

1. create new blank file from same template used for the original PN file.

2. data shortcut your surface and alignment(s) into your new PN file

3. data shortcut your pipe network in.

4. promote your pipe network to your file.

From here you should be good to move forward and replace your previous PN file with the one you just created. This is a method I have had to use before when a file "got corrupted" by the gremlins in the machine.

Edwin Melendez
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013 Certified Professional
Certification No. 00319327
Message 10 of 12
Jeff_M

I had a similar issue recently. Turns out the PartsList was corrupt. I ended up editing the parts list by deleting and re-adding the parts I needed to work with. Took about 30 minutes but I was then able to swap parts with a new one and I could edit again (my sumps and rims refused to adjust, and I could not swap the part out).

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 11 of 12
emelendez
in reply to: Jeff_M

I had that happen as well. I noticed that it was because the parts list had been carried over through several versions of civil 3D. I believe it started from 2007 Civil 3D. So I did the same as you and started from the begining and recreated all my parts and rules. It took a while but it fixed all the errors. Before I did it, I tried going through all the routines that are set up to convert the old stuff into the new format, but it was still giving me problems.

Edwin Melendez
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013 Certified Professional
Certification No. 00319327
Message 12 of 12
rrawls
in reply to: emelendez

Thanks for all of the replies. I was able to workaround by swapping parts (finally was able to do that). I simply used NO FRAME structures and all of my structures defaulted back to my finished grade for the rim elevations.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report