AutoCAD Civil 3D General

Distinguished Mentor
castled071049
Message 11 of 17 (1,170 Views)

Re: Pipe Network Data Shortcut - Structure Styles

09-19-2011 12:55 PM in reply to: jmayo

I just tested my "theory" on brand new files generated from the same template and same parts list. I did a simple two-pipe, 3-manhole network. I created a data shortcut and referenced it into a fresh file. I swapped the last manhole for a 42" headwall, saved it, synchronized it in the second drawing, and the changed part retained the manhole style while adjusting the description to say "41-In. Headwall". This is the nexus of our problem, that is, changes in base files do not seem to update the styles in dref'd drawing files.

*Expert Elite*
klugb
Message 12 of 17 (1,164 Views)

09-19-2011 01:09 PM in reply to: jeff.frye

Jeff,

I saw your post in the other thread but thought this one was more appropriate.

As what has already been said, this is a problem. Don't get me wrong, I love C3D, but sometimes I wonder if some of the people responsible have EVER been completely through a production cycle start to finish?

I was told by ADSK I should just remove the pipe network and re-data shortcut them back in. This is because the mentality is that cutting sheets and production is the LAST thing you do. For most people it's not. You cut sheets then at 30%, 50%, 90%.... you changes structures, move structures, LABEL structures and move the labels to "fit" around background linework. Knowing the process can be years we usually end up with a lot of custom text edits to the labels also. Re-cutting sheets is NOT an option. Ok, enough on that.

We have just been diligent in keeping track of swapped parts that the drafters have to fix when working in the sheets. Comparing the description to the style also works but is painfully slow, especially in 2012. Toolspace has issues with pipe networks.

What I want is Visretain for pipe networks that keeps the network attached but you can overwrite the styles in the current drawing with the styles from the master. Heck, I would even be happy with a report that compares the styles. Hmm... I guess we could export to excel and compare them. Either way it's a pain.

Bruce Klug
AutoCAD Expert Elite
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2014 Certified Professional
Infrastructure Design Suite 2014 (SP1)
Testing Civil 3D 2015
Win 7 Pro, 64-bit
*Expert Elite*
klugb
Message 13 of 17 (1,162 Views)

09-19-2011 01:12 PM in reply to: castled071049

That's by design for all the data shortcut information.

It should be for all the other data but pipe networks need a way to sync back, IMO. We have styles for our design engineers that they use but are different then the ones we want for the drafters to use when creating plan production sheets.

Bruce Klug
AutoCAD Expert Elite
Testing Civil 3D 2015
Win 7 Pro, 64-bit
Contributor
jeff.frye
Message 14 of 17 (1,143 Views)

09-20-2011 10:46 AM in reply to: klugb

While working on this issue, we added a custom field to the XML file called "structure type". That new field is now added to the right-click structure properties dialog box in the part data area. Once we added that custom field, built the parts, and setup a parts list we can access that new field with the structure label. We now label <name>,<structure type> instead of <name>, <description>. So we now can count on the the label being correct -vs- the symbol, then for verification we can look at the individual structure properties.

BUT - we have adjusted our workflow to use a model file data referenced into an xref file that gets brought into sheets and exhibits. I can now say I have control over the symbols again...:smileyhappy:

We are now on a mission to add that custom field to the prospector tab on the structures panorama - programming outside my pay grade for sure :smileyhappy:

C3D 2010

Cadd Manager, Otak. Inc

Jeff

*Expert Elite*
klugb
Message 15 of 17 (1,137 Views)

09-21-2011 07:24 AM in reply to: jeff.frye

Jeff,

We have also added several custom fields when we created our custom parts builder catalog.

What are you doing for the profile views? Are you data shortcutting the networks for profiles and xref'ing for plan?

Bruce Klug
AutoCAD Expert Elite
Testing Civil 3D 2015
Win 7 Pro, 64-bit
Contributor
jeff.frye
Message 16 of 17 (1,124 Views)

09-23-2011 09:02 AM in reply to: castled071049

Bruce,

Since we will be using an xref for the network, we will be forced to make a profile drawing and xref that into sheets :smileysad:...

Its really sad that this one "little" feature is actually interfering with a viable production workflow...

The only way we could still data reference in structures for the profile is to have a set of "noplot" styles for the structures in plan view, but we still have the "style" issue for the structures in profile view...

If a sychronize fixed the problem, we could just automate that process and force a sync at startup.

Distinguished Contributor
annw2
Message 17 of 17 (793 Views)

11-17-2012 07:13 AM in reply to: paul t

They still haven't gotten this fixed in 2012.  I can't believe this is part of the design of the software.  I can understand wanting to have the shortcut styles different than the source drawing, but why won't the source drawing settings come in when I specifically check the box to make them the same?

Ann Wingert, P.E.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Civil 3D Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for AutoCAD Civil 3D helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Civil 3D

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs