Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pipe Hatch Cannot Be Frozen

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
craigp
620 Views, 2 Replies

Pipe Hatch Cannot Be Frozen

Before I dive into the problem I am having, let me provide some background. My office uses some custom software to plot from layer states rather than layouts, so we are almost entirely dependent on layer control to get our drawings to plot correctly. Until recently, we had no trouble with this. In Civil 3D '14, however, I am finding it impossible to freeze pipe hatches using layer states. The pipe style overrides the layer state and causes the hatch to plot anyway, usually as color 7. This is not happening on any other element of the pipe style or for other entities. A couple images are included to show what I mean. 

I am attempting to find a method of displaying the pipe hatch for the layer states that define appropriate sheets (such as storm) and freezing it for others (such as paving) without having to manually edit the style every time I change to another layer state. So far, I have edited the layer state to freeze the hatch layer and/or make it nonplotting when I don't want to see the hatch. Nothing has worked yet. As mentioned above, this problem seems unique to pipe hatches, and I have been able to freeze the other elements of the style using these methods.

I am currently running Civil 3D 2014. SP1 didn't fix this issue and caused some deal-breaker problems of its own.

Any help would be appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
craig_robertson
in reply to: craigp

This is most likely due to the pipe network settings, are you data referncing the pipes?  I found that to get the pipes to work properly as data references in 2014 I had to have the catalogue etc imported into the drawing I was referencing the pipe network into, and to avoid the network reverting to the default style I had to change the ambient settings to the layers I wanted the network to be on (i.e. pipe, structures etc) before referencing. When I did not change the ambient settings for each reference what I found was that when I synchronized the reference the pipes reverted to the default. This caused a similar situation to yours because when I turned off or froze certain pipes the hatching for the pipe would always remain (it displayed as the C-STRM-PIPE default layer).

Message 3 of 3
craigp
in reply to: craig_robertson

Yes, this is a data reference. It looks like the problem was that the pipes were inserted on layer 0 instead of the correct layers. Hence they did not freeze when the layer state changed since layer 0 is always thawed in our layer states. Thanks for pointing out that the ambient settings could cause this problem. Everything seems to be working correctly now.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report