Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pipe Direction within Structure Label

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
n2itive
768 Views, 4 Replies

Pipe Direction within Structure Label

Can you modify / edit the "pipe direction"  expression or field within a structure label?

And yes, I know you can manually edit these labels but I have an Engineer that consistenly makes a comment regarding a structure label that may show an "S" and he wants it to say "SE".  So I'm thinking there has to be a certain angle at which C3D switches between the "S" & "SW" area.

I'm using C3D 2011.

Thanks

Infrastructure Design Suite 2014
Civil 3D 2013 sp2
Windows 7 x 64, 16 GB
Intel Xeon @ 2.80 GHz
NVIDIA Quadro K2000
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
n2itive
in reply to: n2itive

Anyone,

Bueller... Bueller... Bueller...Smiley Indifferent

So, as an example lets say you have one pipe entering the structure from due north. Then you have another pipe at 20 deg to the left and one at 20 deg to the right. If you use the <connect  pipe direction> property within your structure label it currently list these pipe as all being "N". One would think for clarification purposes you would want it to read one from "N" and the other two to be "NW" & "NE". I know this is what my engineers want. And, yes, I know you can manually edit this but that kind of defeats the purpose of C3D and it's dynamic capabilities.

Civil 3D 2013 sp2
Windows 7 x 64, 16 GB
Intel Xeon @ 2.80 GHz
NVIDIA Quadro K2000
Message 3 of 5
klugb

You might have figured it out, but each section is broke in 45 degree sections for labeling. So a pipe 20 degrees to the east is still considered (N) by the way Civil 3D does it. Once you hit 22.5 degrees you will get (NE).

You can tell the engineers that what they are asking for is technically North-North East (NNE) Smiley Happy

Bruce Klug, P.E.
AutoCAD Expert Elite Alumni
AutoCAD Civil 3D Certified Professional
Civil 3D 2023.2.1

Win 10 Enterprise, 64-bit
Message 4 of 5
Civil3DReminders

It's been a while, but I think this drawing has the expressions you are looking for, though I could be wrong.

http://style.civil3dreminders.com/structurelabel-pipedirection

Message 5 of 5
n2itive
in reply to: klugb

Thanks Bruce. Yea that's what I figured is happening. I had to laugh cause our surveyor said the same thing... "well technically it's N-N-W".  haha

However, I was hoping you could just edit the expression so that  angles for the cardinal directions were somewhat narrower than 45 deg thus allowing the intermidiate directions to cover a larger array.

Civil 3D 2013 sp2
Windows 7 x 64, 16 GB
Intel Xeon @ 2.80 GHz
NVIDIA Quadro K2000

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report